Monday 18 February 2013

3:14 Painful Truth

It was still raining the next morning. Shaena's first day of school, and Taylor's first day back at work since she'd realised she was pregnant. Shaena was nervous now, and her brother and aunt flying out the door immediately behind her made her embarrassed. She hoped no potential friends were on the bus yet, otherwise they'd all know she lived with fairies. She wasn't sure whether this would make her 'cool' because it was different, or 'weird' because she wasn't magical in the slightest. She was the only human she knew besides her grandfather, and she craved the company of 'normal' sims.

Almost as soon as everyone had left, the triplets decided they were all hungry and all needed changing. Madison went to start her first day alone with three toddlers. She hoped she'd be able to find time to research alchemy a little more, but the triplets were the priority right now. She set about trying to stop them from screaming as she could only change one diaper at a time, she started singing lullabies. She loved singing, and would love to have been a professional singer, if she hadn't had Luis so young maybe she would have persued it. She was happy with the alchemy set though, and wouldn't trade her children for the world.

While the kids were playing, Madison noticed that Rose already seemed to be able to control her powers. While Jake could fly a little, as she, Taylor, Devon and Luis could at his age, Kaity didn't seem to be able to do anything. She was definately a witch, but she either didn't know how to use her powers, or just didn't want to. Madison was a little worried by how easily it came to Rose. She didn't know any witches that she could ask about this, and wondered if it was normal for her to be so powerful at such a young age. Or maybe Kaity was the odd one here?

Whether it was mother's intuition, or just that she had used her own powers more than her sister, Taylor could sense that Rose definately had more magic in her, whereas Kaity seemed more content with everyday things, and seemed drawn to her human cousin, Shaena. She hoped that Kaity would be able to use her powers at some point, even if just so she wouldn't be jealous of her sister. Of course, if Kaity didn't want to, or couldn't, Taylor would love her just the same.

Taylor insisted Madison leave the house, and after she'd taken her latest batch of potions to the consignment store, she headed to the local kareoke bar, still in the mood to sing. The place was deserted besides the proprietor (Taylor's childhood friend, Chiquita), but it was still early in the evening. Madison was quite glad that she was almost alone, as she wasn't confident in her singing abilities. Chiquita came up to her at the end of the song, and insisted she sing it again for practice. She said she had 'real talent' and it just needing fine tuning. Madison smiled and started singing again, trying her hardest to hit the right notes and thoroughly enjoying herself, she promised herself she'd do this more often (maybe 5 hours a week?) and get really good at it.

The singing had taken her mind off a lot, but as soon as she stepped away from the machine she remembered Shaena and the questions she had about Geoffrey. It was best to tackle this sooner rather than later, and so on the taxi ride home she tried to prepare herself for the conversation, she knew it would be hard, but Shaena deserved to know.

She found her daughter in the room they still shared, looking at the pictures of her parents that filled the walls. She took a deep breath as one last preparation, and walked around the bed.
"Hey, honey. Are you ready to talk about Daddy?" Shaena nodded, excited to finally be let in on the bubble of secrets that surrounded her father.
"I want to know everything about him, and I want to know why he left us..." Madison's sharp intake of breath cut her off.
"Shae, baby... Maybe we should sit on the bed?" Madison suggested, wondering the best way to tell an elementary school girl that her father died when she was born. Maybe just come right out with it? Shaena jumped up onto the bed, and Madison joined her, crawling over the sheets to 'her side' of the bed. "Honey. Daddy didn't leave us. He..." She closed her eyes, wishing it wasn't real. "He died the day you were born."

 Madison watched as Shaena's face fell, and the usually loud, bubbly girl was replaced by a silent, lost child. She reached up and started running her fingers through her ponytail. She decided to stay quiet for a minute or two, waiting for the information to sink in.

"Why?" Was all Shaena could get out, as she hugged her legs to her chest, and continued staring off into space. Nobody had ever told her he'd left them, but she'd never imagined he was dead. There had always been that glimmer of hope in the bottom of her heart that he would come back to meet her, but that was gone now. There was no hope of him coming back, she'd never met him and never would.

Shaena's one-word question reminded Madison of when her daughter had been a toddler, and 'why' was all she'd ever say. That seemed like so long ago now, she'd grown up so much in those few short years since then, and it wouldn't be long until she was a young woman herself.
"Your Daddy worked long hours to make enough money for us to have a good life. He came over as much as he could, and when he found out we were having you he was the happiest man in the world..."
"Mummy. I asked why." Shaena cut her mother off. She'd been kept in the dark about this all her life and didn't care to wait any longer.
"Ok, honey." Madison moved to kneel infront of her daughter, and took her hand, which Shaena kept away, still holding her legs to her.

"Sweetie, your Daddy was fit and healthy, and nobody expected it. One afternoon he was on his break, and he walked off the site he was working on to get some lunch. His break ended and he wasn't back yet and then his friends at work started to worry. Your Daddy was never late in the morning, and was never late back from break, so they went looking for him. They found him on the street and he was unconcious." Madison held back tears as she watched them begin to fall down Shaena's cheeks. "They took him to the hospital and the doctors hooked him up. He was in a coma, which is like when you go to sleep but you can't wake up. And then he died the next day, about an hour after you were born."

Shaena sat in silence, tears still rolling down her cheeks. Madison slid off the bed and knelt on the floor infront of her, pulling her round so she was sitting with her legs over the edge of the bed.
"I see him in you everyday, and I know he would have loved you with all his heart. He would have been the perfect father to you, and he would have supported us all through everything. Every day I wish you could have met him, honey, I really do..." Madison had to stop. She didn't know what else to say, but also because she wanted to stay strong infront of her daughter, and she could feel the tears begging to come out.

"I don't blame you, Mummy." Shaena looked her mother in the eye, just for a second, but it was enough to reassure Madison. "I don't blame you for not telling me. It's a horrible thing to think about, but thank you for telling me even though it hurt." Madison let a single tear escape her eye, as she inwardly breathed a sigh of relief. Shaena didn't hate her.

Madison pulled her off the bed and into a tight hug.
"I love you, Shae. I really am sorry that I didn't tell you sooner, but I wanted you to be old enough to understand..."
"I know Mummy. I still love you."



So, we finally know most of the story. I doubt it will ever be explained in more detail, but if you want to know the darker parts from the depths of my mind, just ask.
Madison's hobby will be kareoke (she rolled a want for it when I was deciding hers) and Taylors will be working out. I don't know how much I'll feature these hobbies, but I'm planning on Madison doing hers on week nights, and Taylor doing hers at the weekend. I am aware I have waited pretty late to start this roll, but I completely forgot until the triplets were born, and then I just couldn't get either of them in a good enough mood to do anything when they were babies! The whole thing will be easier when the triplets are kids. Not long now! And also, when the triplets age to children, Shaena will age to teen the same day, and Luis will only be a few days away from YA!
Also, "How can Shaena stay warm enough in that tiny dress?" I hear you ask? Well, truth is, it was the first day of summer when I was last in-game, and I just haven't got around to getting everyone else into cooler clothes. It should be done by next chapter, because I need to name the seasons 'this year'. Phew, wish me luck! Still not really got many ideas, but I kinda want 'summer' to have something to do with Summer (the season, the girl). No idea how that will work.
And, I shall introduce Summer's daughter soon. Hopefully next chapter too! She is one day older than the triplets, and a vampire.

21 comments:

  1. You made my cry about Geoff again, just when I was finally get past the pain!
    Well, I'll shut up and stop being selfish, Shaena needed to know about her dad.
    I loved Madi thinking about exactly how many hours a week she'll put into her hobby, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! I'll try not to bring him up again!
      Actually, I have one more time I have to. After that.

      Haha :p Madi's clearly well organised!

      Delete
    2. No, it's okay. Geoff should be fondly remembered. I just made me teary, reading that. :'(
      But in a good way, O promise.

      Delete
    3. I'm glad you cried in a good way...
      Um, let me rephrase that...
      I'm glad you weren't too upset, and only have fond memories of Geoff. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, poor little Shaena. I'm glad Madi told her the truth finally about it. It's good to know that early on.
    Yay for Karaoke! It's good to see Madi get out of the house. She's been tending to babies for a long time now.
    And darn it! You said we could vote as many times as we wanted! It won't let me vote again. lol I want Rose! Looks like I'm very much in the minority there though. ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Madi never really lied to her, she just never spoke about it and then Shaena assumed.
      Yes, Madi's entire life from the age of 14 (To what I now assume is her late 20's) has been constant night feeds and dirty nappies. She does deserve a break, although Taylor always took over Luis and Shaena when they were little for a few hours too.
      You can vote again, but obviously not with the same account, which is why I say 'if you have the means to'
      You may nt even need a different account, try logging out? Or using someone elses computer/your phone etc

      Delete
  3. First of all, do HUH? A VAMPIRE? wow, that's a story I bet. :)

    Okay now, I'm emotional enough lately as it is, but I cried during the whole story. I'm having a strangely hard time putting my thoughts into words, but I will say that I'm glad that Shaena accepted what her mother told her. I didn't really expect her to hate her. However, you never know how a person is going to react to something, so it's best to just do what you think is best anyway.

    You're so funny with your seasons thing. I love it. I don't think I could do that; wrapping my mind around it would make me crazy!

    Oh, the kicker to this update was the pictures of G behind Shaena as she was being told about her father's death. Yeah, I bet you did that on purpose just to torture us and make us look back and forth at the characters and pictures. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, uhmmm, it's a short story, yes.
      Do you remember Lisa's younger brother, Cortez? In my mind he has been in love with Summer since forever (It started by him just always happening to be around when Summer was, and they were the same age). He's a vampire.

      You're... emotional lately? Hmm...
      Of course you can't hate your own mother really, but there's the whole 'shoot the messanger' thing that could happen. Of course, it was never going to. Sorry you cried :( That wasn't my intention, it was just to explain!

      Hehe, it's because when I started it I didn't have seasons, and then I had to introduce it and then thought too far into it and realised that I'd have to name everything. It is pretty hard.

      Yeah, the pictures were intentional :p It was supposed to be like he's watching over them. Maybe he is? You gave me an idea for something a few chapters ago, but it will be a while before that happens :)

      Delete
    2. I'm NOT pregnant, so don't even go there!
      It was all due to a misunderstanding... at least, that's what I hope it was.

      Yeah, now of course I remember Cortez! HEHE, I love it! I remember how he used to get on her nerves, but he kept trying. I love that.
      Oh, don't be sorry for making me cry. I'm a basket case.

      Well, that makes sense! Still, it's great.

      He WAS watching over them. :') sigh.

      I gave you an idea?! really?! really really?! Cool!

      Delete
    3. Haha :p Sorry! That is literally always my first reaction whenever any female isn't feeling 100%. My sister is worse. I told her I had a stomach bug and migrane at the weekend, and she asked me when I was due, and when I said I wasn't pregnant she asked when I was going to get pregnant :|
      The misunderstanding - irl or in the chapter? I can't work out any bit from the chapter you're on about, so I'll assume real life. I hope it gets cleared up soon :(

      Hehe, there is a little more to that story, but I'll let Summer explain. :p

      Yes, you gave me an idea. I dismissed it at first, but then the *opportunity* arose, and so I *saved* it to my memory ;)
      If you don't get that hint, tough, that's all you're getting :p

      Delete
    4. I get it! :D

      As to the misunderstanding -- it's just an argument about dirty laundry...

      Delete
    5. Yay, you get it :) But shh, it's a secret.

      I think I understand what you're on about, :( It made me sad too. Hope it gets sorted!

      Delete
  4. Poor Shaena & Madi *hugs them* you've now left me really curious as to what actually happened to Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, here goes:
      Geoffrey didn't know it, but he had a heart condition, possibly genetic, we are yet to see. It really was just a normal day, he felt fine, went off to buy lunch and then he started feeling a little funny, and so leaned against the wall. His heart then stopped for about a minute, starving his brain of oxygen and sending him into a coma. I promise, he didn't feel any pain.
      I also have no idea if that's how it works. I have no medical knowledge, but if I do decide that one of his kids inherited the gene I'll have to do medical research. But I really don't know yet. It sounds like a lot of work...

      Delete
    2. don't know if it's hereditary, but that happened to a friend of mine's son. It was awful. He'd just asked his girlfriend to marry him a few weeks previous.

      Wow. how similar is that?

      Delete
    3. Uhm, that's a little scary!
      That's a really sad story, sorry.

      Delete
    4. Ok then. I have Aortic stenosis. I was diagnosed when preggers with the 4 year old. Mine is hereditary. It will most likely be my eventual cause of death. So research me! lol. But first you'd need to clean out your inbox on modthesims so I can PM you!

      Delete
    5. Oh, I'm sorry :( I hope you live a long life anyway!
      I've cleared my inbox and sent items now.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad we finally got to know what happened to Geoffrey :( Madi was probably right to wait until Shae was old enough to understand before she told her. The pics of Geoff on the wall in the background were a poignant touch.

    On another note, it's hard to believe how fast they grow! It seems like just a few weeks have gone by since they were all babies :D I'm leaning toward Rose with my vote after this chapter. How much longer is the poll open?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she was right to wait too, and I'm glad you liked the pics of Geoff. I didn't want to move them around for the scene, so I just had to spend ages finding the right angles instead...

      Lol, I'm trying to rush the triplets to childhood, because nobody has time to do anything with all the caring they have to do!

      There is still 3 days on the poll, and I'm hoping to have the next chapter out today, which will have a mini-bit about Kaity. I was going to do a bit with Jake too, but it seems pointless... :p

      Delete
  6. Shaena, poor baby! Now she knows what happened to her daddy. I'm glad that she doesn't blame her mother for not telling her. I can just imagine how hard it was on Maddie to talk with her about it, but it's best that Shaena knows now.

    Did Trisha have anything to do with his death or was it really an accident?

    ReplyDelete