Saturday 7 September 2013

4.28 Press Release

The science facility, where Winter worked (And had been rebuilt on the same site after the disaster), had arranged a series of conferences all over the world over the coming years. Winter would be the key note speaker, meaning he was having to do a lot of planning both at work and at home, as well as organising the small team of scientists who had worked with him since his arrival in Sunset Valley. It was a lot of work, but his whole life had been leading to this moment, as he'd only been a small child when the original disaster happened and had always hoped to play a part in the mission to understand what happened. Kaity was happy for him, if a little annoyed that he was hardly around anymore. She was proud of him for becoming such a big name in his field, and soon to be worldwide.

 After much protest from Kaity, Winter finally managed to get her to attend the seasons press release with him. She hated all things like that, but Winter pointed out that if he went without her then most likely the press would just bombard him with questions about her anyway, so if they went together they could release an official statement that they were together and that he was Autumns father, hopefully putting an end to all the gossip over his parentage.

Kaity's one condition, even though she almost didn't want to herself, was to have Leighton write them up a script. He spoke to the press constantly, and knew how to handle them, that was on the plus side, the negative was that he and Winter hadn't met yet, and Kaity was worried that her history with him would come out in a bad way.

"Baby K?" Leightons head popped round the front door, and he grinned when he spotted her hovering around the kitchen. "Hey Peach, how you doing?" He asked, letting himself in.
"I'm ok. Look..." Kaity sighed as Leighton crossed the room and pulled her into a tight hug. "Lay, stop. Winter is just through there." She whispered, and Leighton pulled back a little.

 "Kaity. I'm sure he's not the paranoid, jealous douche you make him out to be. I'm hugging one of my oldest friends because she's completely ignored me since she turned her life around and started doing one man and one man only." He winked at her glare. "That's perfectly allowed, by the way." Winter entered the kitchen from the living room.
"Winter!" Kaity jumped back, and Leighton snorted a laugh. "Uhm. Yeah, this is Leighton. Sorry, he was just hugging me..."
"That's fine." Winter smiled at her to try and reassure her, and extended his hand to Leighton. "Good to finally meet you."

Leighton shook his hand. "You too. Hey, man, I'm sorry about that kiss. I saw in the papers that you were possibly together, and asked Kaity but she didn't seem to think you were..." He apologised uneasily.
"Leighton!" Kaity breathed, shocked and unsure what to do to now the subject had been raised. She'd hoped to avoid this situation entirely.
"Hey, it's fine. It's in the past now." Winter looked at Kaity, who was rubbing her forhead and looking from one man to the other, clearly thinking a fight was about to break out any moment. "Kaity, stop worrying." He smiled at her, and she forced a smile back.
"Where we doing this thing?" Leighton asked, and Kaity gestured towards the living room.

Kaity and Winter took the sofa, and Leighton grabbed the chair from the computer desk and sat in front of them.
"So, what are you wanting to say? Or rather, what do you want them to print?" Leighton asked, and Winter looked to Kaity to answer. She was the one who was more well known, so it was up to her to decide what she wanted the town knowing.
"Uhm... Just that me and Winter are together, and Autumn is his son." Kaity shrugged.
"K, they'll want more than that. If you just say that they'll ask you a million and one personal questions, so you need to tell them more useless boring info too. Like..." Leighton cleared his throat and started up talking again in an over exaggerated girls voice. "Like, hi, I'm like, totally Kaity Mattell, like-" Kaity kicked his shin, shutting him up, and the three of them giggled.
"You're an idiot." She laughed. "I never say like or totally, that's Rose."

"Well, you get what I mean, so what else do you want to tell them? Oh, I know! You could explain how you met me, and dispell the rumours that your twins are mine and I'm an awful father?"
"If I mention that without them saying anything, won't they think I'm just trying to make you look good?"
"How did you meet?" Winter asked, genuinely interested. It wasn't often two hundred year old vampires hung around with fairies in their early twenties. Leighton burst out laughing, and Kaity looked embarrassed. Leighton nodded his head to Kaity, motioning her to explain.

"It's really embarrassing..." Kaity began. "I was in labour with the twins. I was walking into the hospital as he was walking out, and-"
"And our eyes met across the lobby!" Leighton put on a romantic swoon.
"Shut up!" Kaity laughed. "Well, technically, they did. I thought 'Damn, he's hot', and he thought 'Oh look, another teen mother.'. It wasn't until me, Rose and Jake turned eighteen and mum had the kids for the night that we saw each other again. We went to the Grind to get drunk and celebrate, and he was DJing. And then... I dunno. I was drunk, and lonely, and wanted to enjoy being young in the few moments I could get away from the girls... and then it was like that for years, until he started dating Bonnie. That lasted all of five minutes. Seriously, that was a disaster!" Kaity and Leighton giggled at the memory, and Winter smiled, enjoying seeing Kaity so happy about a memory for once.

_____


Before Kaity and Winter could make their intial planned statement they were bombarded with questions:
"Is Mr. Snow the father of your youngest child?"
"Is DJ Lazy the father of your twins?"
"Did you really elope and marry?"
Leighton stepped in. "Calm down, they'll take your questions after the official statement. Please remember this is officially an interview about the climate."

Kaity forced a smile, and nodded at Leighton, thanking him. She felt dizzy and sick, and was seriously regretting agreeing to this now. This wasn't her scene. She snapped back to reality when Winter started up with the statement.
"Miss Mattell and I would like to announce that we are currently in the early stages of a committed relationship, and that we have a son together. We would appreciate some privacy while we get to know each other better, and would like the children to be continued to be left out of the papers."

He went on to explain about the seasons. Summer would begin when the flowers started to bloom and the leaves returned to the trees, and winter would be when the leaves started dying and falling to the ground. The moment he finished and asked if there were any questions, the barrage started up again. Leighton silenced the room once more, and asked the journalists to raise their hands. He began picking them one at a time to ask their questions:

"Winter! Did you know about Kaity's wild past when you first got involved with her? If so, why did you decide to enter a relationship? Are you hoping to tame her?"
Kaity started picking at the red varnish on the table. This was going to be awful.
"No, I didn't know about her past." Winter began. He sounded calm. How was he so calm? "Her past doesn't matter because it's just that; the past. What matters is now, and I feel she's matured significantly since the days you're talking about. I don't hope to 'tame' her, as you put it, she doesn't need taming. She's a sim, not a wild animal."

"Was it love at first sight? Are you going to propose any time soon?" Kaity groaned, but not loud enough for the microphones nearby to pick up. Why was the whole world obsessed with marriage suddenly?
"I wouldn't say it was love at first sight, but there was obvious attraction from the start. That's all I'm willing to say on that matter." Kaity flashed a pained expression. Winter only refused to comment to make her feel more comfortable, but she knew how it looked now.

"Kaity!" Kaity's heart stopped. Why did she come here again? This was a stupid idea. "Was is just coincidence that Mr. Farrah attacked you the night Mr. Snow arrived? Were you in a relationship with him? What would you have done if he'd not been convicted, and how do you plan to keep your children safe from future attacks?"

Kaity had every mind to just stand up and walk out right then. How dare they even mention his name? Never mind drag Winter into the crime. Leighton saw the look of rage in her eyes, and bent down to whisper in her ear.
"You can say no comment if you'd like, but I advise at least giving something or they'll run a load of nonsense." He stepped back, and Kaity took a few deep breaths before having a big gulp of water. She could feel everyones eyes burning into her, the noise of the camera-flashes had stopped, and she could see Winter looking worried out of the corner of her eye. What could she say?!

"I have never been in a relationship with that-" Kaity stopped herself. She didn't want to swear, but it was hard to find an appropriate word that they could print. "No. It was a coincidence, and if he hadn't been convicted-" She stopped herself again. She couldn't very well say what she'd have done, because then she'd be plastered over the paper as thinking about murdering someone. "My children are safe, as they were that night too. I'd prefer if that name wasn't mentioned anymore, thank you."

She didn't have time to recover before the next question came at her:
"Has the father of the twins helped raise them at all?"
"No comment." Kaity didn't care how that would sound, she just wanted to get out of there.

"Winter, how are you handling being in the spotlight? Do you have plans to move into the Mattell household? It must be hard to raise your son living apart."
Winter was as thankful as Kaity to have the next question. He could tell Kaity was within seconds of calling this thing off, and although he'd love to walk out too, he knew this was necessary.
"I have to admit, our lives would be easier if we weren't followed everywhere. It would be nice to be able to live a normal life." He hinted. "Our son gets the attention he needs and sees us both regularly.

"Kaity! Are you really a psychic, or are the rumours true and you're just a money-hungry fraud?"
That was the last straw. Kaity turned to Winter.
"I'm out of here." She muttered, before standing as Winter gaped at the journalist who'd asked.
"There will be no further questions, ladies and gentlemen." Leighton announced as Kaity left the room. He and Winter followed seconds later as the journalists started snapping pictures again and shouting unanswered questions.

_____

"You did really well today." Winter smiled, kissing her.
"Yeah, right..." Kaity snorted. "But thanks for saying." She kissed him back, and snuggled futher into his arms. "I don't want you to go." She moaned.
"I'm sorry. I'll be back before you know it." He was going for a full week this first time, but had been assured that he wouldn't have to go for that long the majority of the time, but as this first conference was all the way in Shang Simla, it couldn't be helped as they had to allow for jet lag.
"You'll have to make it up to me when you're back." She smiled, Winter could feel it against his chest. "And buy me loads of presents while you're out there, of course."
"What do you want?" Winter sighed, feigning annoyance.
"I want a panda, and seven kilos of sweet and sour pork balls." Winter laughed. "What? They're all readily available over there."

"I thought you were going to ask for something serious."
"I'm being serious." Kaity tried to restrain a giggle, and sat herself up a little to look at him. "Maybe some genuine Chinese rice. You know how good I am at cooking, and how much you want me to cook you a rice based dish."
"Maybe some jewelry or something." Winter stated, not sure what to reply to her cooking comment as he wasn't sure if it was serious or not.
"Oh! Maybe some shoes! Do they have shoes in China?" Winter burst out laughing again, and Kaity gently slapped his chest. "You know what I mean! Do they have special traditional Chinese shoes?"
"I have no idea, Kaity."
"Do you speak any Chinese? Say something to me."
"No, I don't know any. I'm giving the talks in Simlish, and they'll have translators if they don't speak it."

Kaity lay herself back down again. "Do you know anything about China? Or Shang Simla?"
"I know I'm staying at a hotel called Shang Kong."
"Like King Kong?" Kaity giggled.
"I don't think there are any giant gorillas over there, but I'll keep my eyes open. I'll ring you if one abducts me." It was Kaity's turn to burst out laughing now.
"Maybe you should cut your hair so they don't think you're a woman?" She joked.

"Right. That's it." Winter threatened, before flipping her over and tickling her.
"No! No, stop!" Kaity giggled before screaming. Winters hand flew over her mouth to silence her.
"Shhh!" He laughed, "Don't wake the kids up." He removed his hand from her mouth, and she stuck her tongue out.

 "That was your fault." She accused, before reaching up and kissing him.
"Sorry." He muttered between kisses, pushing her further into the mattress. Kaity wrapped her arms around his neck, and Winter pushed a hand under the small of her back before breaking the kiss suddenly.

"I love you."




*ahem*
Thank you to my besties, Misty and Sunny, for playing reporter for me! I got major writers block when it came to that, so they fired a ton of questions at me and I just watched my poor simmies squirm >:)

What a sweet, lovely ending, right? Totally not a cliffy. Nope. 

20 comments:

  1. I've recently come out of lurking and started reading a few Random Legacy stories. Yours is one of my favorites. That being explained...
    Oooh, how is Kaity going to handle the L-word from Winter? Will she freak out or start crying and say it back? I can't wait to find out.
    And I loved the interview questions, I thought you did a good job with writing it and I loved the questions from Misty and Sunny. Poor Kaity is always over-reacting, and I thought her being on pins and needles when Leighton was talking to her and Winter was so funny. Can't wait for the next chapter to see how this cliffhanger ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go by rnramey on the forums, BTW.

      Delete
    2. Well, welcome to the world of comment addiction ;)
      Thank you! That's such a lovely thing to say! I've gone all warm inside :D

      Well, it could go either way. Usually, she'd probably freak out, but as Winter said to the press, she's matured a bit now. Question is, has she matured enough? You'll have to wait until next week to find out, I'm afraid, but you will get to read what the press printed later this week :)

      Hehe! I was at a loss as what to ask, so got some help. I did have to think of the answers. Kaity's were easy, as she just says how it is, Winters were a little harder because he's more experianced in these things so generally knows what to say.

      Yep! Typical Kaity overreacting! Haha! Yeah, but I can imagine it to be very awkward having to get the guy you slept with for years to come over and talk to you and your boyfriend. I've not had to go through that :p

      Sorry! You have to wait :p
      It was a nice cliffhanger, though! Not like we're not sure if anyone will survive or something. All happy and smushy. :D

      Thanks for delurking, I love comments <3

      Delete
  2. I find it interesting that the question about her psychic skills was the last straw for Kaity...

    I wonder how she'll react to Winter's declaration of love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she just didn't expect that at all! She's not even heard those rumours, and after her previus questions, which were also pretty rude and invasive, she'd just had enough. You know what she's like.

      Hm. I wonder... Guess we'll have to wait and see :p

      Delete
  3. I loved how Winter and Leighton handled themselves, despite all Kaity's worrying about it.
    And I always love Kaity and Winter's banter. <3
    I hope his trip to Shang Simla goes well and he doesn't get abducted by any gorillas. Or get mistaken for a woman, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! They're both adults, Kaity assumes things would happen like high school, but people can be friendly or give others a chance. Also, I imagine she wouldn't act like that if one of Winters old flames appeared...
      Hehe me too <3

      Pahahaaaa! Oh, me too! I don't think there are gorillas in China, and I think King Kong was Japan... I'm now not sure... :|
      Plus, he's got a fairly masculine figure. Maybe he could wear a hat?

      Delete
  4. Thank you for having something for me to read when I came home from work! I absolutely love the scene with Kat and Winter!
    I wonder how she's gonna handle the "L" word..
    Can't wait for the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, it's ok :D I always post Saturdays, but was a bit late today. Hope work was ok!
      yeah... I think we're all wondering what her reaction will be here!

      Delete
  5. "Do they have shoes in China?" LOL

    Even with all the uncomfortable questions, this was delightful.

    I think I'd be every bit as uncomfortable as Kaity in the that bit with Leighton and Winter. That is so AWKWARD when that happens!

    All things considering, Kaity did really well with the press conference. Typical that they would ask more gossip questions than serious ones at one of those that's supposed to be about the weather and not about their personal lives. They exist to make money and do that by printing sensational news.

    Hm, I get the feeling Winter was almost asking Kaity if he'd buy her a ring. I think he was thinking it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! "You knew what I meant!" :p She doesn't always phrase things in the best way...

      Thank you! Delightful. I need to use that word more, makes me feel all upper class.

      Oh, I agree! It's not happened to me, but I can imagine...

      She did alright. She lasted longer than I would have with those kind of questions, especially as she's never done any public speaking.
      I guess we'll see this 'sensational news' later in the week...

      Hmm... ;)
      Yeah, maybe he was testing the water a little. I guess we'll see how she takes the 'I love you' first.
      (I'm glad someone noticed that. As I put it in I thought it might be too subtle, and then I thought "Well, I know *one* person will get it..." and that was you, of course ;)

      Delete
  6. Oh poor Kaity. The press are being awful to her. :(
    And Winter won't even be around to help her through seeing all of it in the papers!

    I have to admit that my first thought on seeing the press conference screenshots was that Winter was drinking bottled water and Kaity was drinking beer(from the red plastic cup, lol...sorry my american-ness is showing). Then I realized that obviously the cup was for the water.

    This update was too adorable and too short! I want to see how Kaity reacts! Can it be next weekend already?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes those questions were pretty harsh.
      I don't think she'll get the paper anyway, but obviously she'll hear something. Hopefully Winter will be back by then.

      Haha! That cup was just the first cup prop in my misc decor, so I used it. Winter has a cup too, but it's out of shot most of the time.

      Adorable? Hm. I guess the last scene was. I'm assuming you're not talking about the press being adorable? I did shorten this. Misty and Sunny sent me tons of questions, and I needed to cut most out or combine them (luckily I had some doubles) to make the chapter readable. I don't think the next one will be very long, but we will see Kaity's reaction, of course (but there's an article in between this and next chapter, hope that doesn't annoy anyone...)
      If you get your head down and beaver away, next weekend will be here before you know it! Only, don't do it too much, as I've not shot for it yet :)

      Delete
  7. Bwaaahahahahaha! That was awesome! Loved the press scene! I could feel Kaity's tension! Very well done! And then when Winter asked if she wanted him to bring her back some jewelry I nearly squeeeeed. My heart did leap though in hopes and then they were totally dashed again when she decided to ask for traditional Chinese shoes. *facepalm. Kaity darling? You don't want those shoes. They'd pinch your feet something awful unless her feet are only 4 inches long. lol

    And then Oh!!!! Oh my goodness! Winter! Kaity is already feeling overwhelmed with you leaving and the press conference and them asking such personal questions. Phew! You left it there!!!! Gah!!! I can't wait to see how Kaity takes that! I'm betting 'explosively' given her history with big announcements/ ;)

    And you're quite welcome. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :D
      Yeah, Kaity isn't made for the public eye. Poor girl, she hates public speaking, which you wouldn't expect as she's so far from shy, but I guess we mainly see her around people she knows and loves.
      :D Yay!! Someone else got the very subtle hint! Yeah, he was testing the waters there. I think Kaity just assumed he meant a necklace or earrings or something. You know, normal holiday-gifts. And she was just messing around asking for random things.
      Uh, yeah, Kaity wouldn't want traditional Chinese shoes. In my mind she's short, meaning she has small feet, but not that small. Taylor didn't bind her childrens feet.

      Yeah, Winter should have maybe held that revelation in for a little longer... She has had a rough day. But! On the other hand, she obviously loves him too (whether she knows that is another thing), and Winter is about to jet off round the world... I guess the timing wasn't perfect, but Kaity did remark at the conference that he was good at ruining moments.
      Yeah, I left it there. The next scene is long, and... And I like being mean. Plus, that one isn't very mean! At least we can go all week like "awww, he loves her". But, you're right, Kaity doesn't have a great track record with big announcements. I guess we have to wait and see.

      :)

      Delete
  8. Oh look at you! You're at 14,500 views!

    Aww, I didn't realize Winter was so passionate about his work that it had been his life's dream. And now he's been able to name seasons, and is famous for telling the world about their discoveries! And I'm so glad that Kaity's come to terms with his work taking him away sometimes as well. He's helped her grow so much as a person <3

    LOL @ Kaity's guilty reaction. He was just hugging me, I swear! Geez Leighton, way to break the ice, lol.

    "Currently in the early stages of a committed relationship" *snort* That just made me laugh. Leave it to Winter to say it like that. Silly blue man with blue body parts.

    Ew! They thought she might be in a relationship with Shae's ex? Wow, she handled that question better than I expected! hehe. Yes, I can well imagine being alluded to as a 'money hungry fraud' might make me walk out, too.

    Geez louise, 7 kilos of sweet and sour pork balls? I'd hate to see what's on her christmas list. Do they have shoes in China? Gosh I hope so; they make half of ours!

    Nope, totally not a cliffy. Not one bit. Kaity's going to freak out!

    Great update! Now I can't wait to see what spin the press will inevitably put on this interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wooo! :D Crazy, right? That random day where I had over 600 views really bumped me along! Even if it did creep me out as I'd not even posted that day...

      Yeah, I hadn't mentioned that, but I thought I'd better throw it in there. I mean, there's no way that man would leave Kaity and the kids unless it was his lifes dream, is there?
      And yes, Kaity has most definatey grown since they got together. He really is good for her :)

      Pahahaa! Kaity is so paranoid. I know! Kaity was hoping the avoid that topic, but Leighton wanted to make sure there were no hard feelings.

      Haha! That was the phrasing they worked on. Didn't want to say too much, or say they were serious, because you know how the press overreact.
      Blue body parts... *dies* I read this this morning before work, but didn't have time to reply. I kept remembering that while I was working and burst out laughing every time :p

      I know! How ridiculous!! She did handle that well! A few weeks ago she'd probably have started screaming at that point, but as you said, she's matured. Uh, yeah. I think anyone would have had enough by that point. I don't know what she was expecting, but the questions were pretty invasive.

      :p She was joking on the pork balls. She knows you can't import food... Pahahaa! Yeah, I wonder what she'd want for christmas? If they had christmas in my sim-world...
      Haha! Yeah, I guess they do! I think most of ours are made in India and Thailand. We make soles and heels at the factory where I work, and there are a few shoe factories in the area, but they all make shoes that your average Joe can't afford.

      Haha, yeah, most likely. Who knows? Maybe she'll surprise us all? She did withstand more of the press than expected...

      :D Thank you! Neither can I! (No, really. I should probably write that...)

      Delete
  9. Kaity and Winter did pretty darn well during the press conference. The press were asking low blow questions and Kaity could've had an outburst and went off but she didn't and that's great.

    Sweet of Winter to say I love you at the end, and I'm sure Kaity will say it back to him right? Right?? >.>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did do well! Those questions weren't very nice >:( and considering what Kaity's temper is like...

      Uhm... Uh... Oh, yeah, course... *shifty eyes*
      You'll see tomorrow. About to go get the pics and then it'll be all ready to go :)

      Delete
  10. Well, Winter was a lot calmer than I would be, lol Especially since it was an old flame that kissed her, and was hugging on her!

    They are still so cute together, and she seemed to be settling down pretty well. Then he dropped the L bomb, lol I wonder what kind of crazy that will stir up? =P

    ReplyDelete