Saturday 14 September 2013

4.29 The 'L' Word



 "I love you." He looked so serious. Like he'd wanted to say it for a while. She felt sick.
"No." She whispered, closing her eyes and turning her head away.
"Yes. I wanted you to know before I went away."
"Just... Just don't do this, Winter." Her voice barely audible as she pushed him off her and slipped off the bed.
"Kaity..."
"No." A tear rolled down her cheek, and she marched to the ensuite, slamming and locking the door behind her.

Winter followed her to the door and stood outside listening to her sobs for a moment, wondering how he'd misjudged her reaction so badly. He'd ran this through in his head over and over for weeks, and although most of the scenarios didn't include her saying it back, none of them ended with her locked in the bathroom crying.
"Kaity? I'm sorry. I won't say it again. Just come out and we'll go to sleep."
"Go away." Was the muffled reply. A knock at the bedroom door drew Winters attention, and Shaena's voice called through.

"Everything alright in there?" She sounded worried, Winter walked around the bed and opened the door to avoid Kaity hearing them talking.
"We're fine." He sighed. "Just a misunderstanding, that's all."
"Ok." Shaena looked sceptical and peered over his shoulder, looking for Kaity. "It's just, I heard a scream and then a door slammed or something hit the wall..." She sighed a shakey breath. "Sorry. I know you wouldn't... I just assumed..."
"It's ok." Winter rested a reassuring hand on her shoulder, and Shaena nodded.

"What have you done to our mummy?" Sophies voice demanded from just down the hall, and Winter turned to see the twins glaring at him.
"Jay, Soph, go back to bed. Your mummy is just overreacting, you know what she's like." Shaena smiled at the girls to show everything was fine.
"We want to see her." Jaydean announced.
"You can see her in the morning." Shaena turned and herded them back to their room, mouthing 'good luck' over her shoulder to Winter, who forced a smile before shutting the door again and returning to his post by the bathroom.

"Are you ok?" He asked to the door. There was a silence broken only by a few sniffles before Kaity responded.
"What do you want me to say? 'I love you too'? I can't do it, Winter. I'm sorry. Why would you put me in this position?"
"I don't want you to say anything. I just wanted you to know how I felt about you before I went away. I thought maybe you wouldn't worry as much if you knew." Winter sat himself on the floor, realising he'd probably be there a while.

"I know you're not ready to say it back." He continued. "I don't mind. You'll get there one day."
"How long?" Kaitys voice asked back.
"How long until what?"
"How long have you loved me?" She whispered.

"I don't know." He hesitated, thinking over his answer. "I didn't realise I loved you until after the conference, but I must've fallen in love while we were there." There was no reply, so he continued. "I'm not saying it was love at first sight, I know you'll tell me off if I say something that 'cheesy'." Kaity couldn't help but smile a little, that was exactly something she'd have done.
"You're exactly the kind of idiot to believe in love at first sight." Winter could hear the smile in her voice, and breathed an inward sigh of relief. "Why, though?"

"Why am I an idiot?" Winter asked. "I don't know, you'll have to answer that one."
"No! You just proved why you're an idiot, because that wasn't even what I was asking." Winter breathed a laugh and the annoyance in her voice. "Why do you love me?"
"Why wouldn't I?"
"That's a rubbish answer. You need to work on that for next time."

"Why don't you come out of there and I can start working on it now?"
"I'm not coming out yet. I can't look at you."
"Why not?" Winter asked, confused.
"I just can't, ok?" Kaity snapped. She was trying not to cry, and trying to work out what to say and how she felt. I really like him... But love him? I don't know. How does anyone know? Everyone says 'you just know', but how? Is there something I'm supposed to look for? Some moment when everything changes? 




"Do you want me to go?" Winter's voice broke her thoughts.
"No."
"Do you want me to sleep on the couch?"
"No."
"Do you want me to come in there?"
"No."
"I can put a mask on so you don't have to look at me?"
"No." Kaity giggled. "Just... Just wait."

There was silence both sides of the door for a few minutes. Winter listened to Shaena talking to the twins, maybe reading them a story, or maybe trying to convince them not to come barging into their mothers room.
"Are you still there?" Kaity's voice was quiet and unsure.
"Of course I am." He replied. "Are you ok?"

Without answering, Kaity took a deep breath and launched into a speech. "I'm not gunna sit here and tell you that my knees go weak whenever I see you, or that I have to stop myself from giggling like a child when your name comes up on my phone." She paused, and Winter was unsure whether he was supposed to respond. "How am I meant to tell you that my heart literally aches at the thought that I won't see you for a whole week? I'm not the kind of girl who can sit there and talk soppy mush all night, and I'm not the kind of girl who even knows what to say in these situations." There was a longer pause than before so Winter started to speak.
"But-"
"No, don't interrupt me, please."

"I enjoy spending time with you. And I know the kids love having you around... You've been a massive help, raising them, I mean. Hopefully none of them will have got my temper because I don't think I could handle that the way you do." Another pause. "I know that most of the time I'm clumsy and stupid and do and say all the wrong things, and never think things through before I do them... And I know that sometimes you must just want to hit me for being so stupid, but you don't. Some how you look past all the stupid things I do, and all the hurtful things I say. Some how you don't care that I call you names, and you always know exactly what to say to calm me down when I get angry." Winter was smiling now, but still didn't respond when she paused again.

"For whatever reason, all it seems to take to calm me down is for you to put your arm around me, or hold my hand, or even just say my name." She stopped and sighed. "I don't really know what I'm saying here, so I'll just stop talking before you fall asleep." Winter heard the door unlock and stood up as Kaity opened the door.

"Thank you." He said, pulling her to him.
"For what?" Was the strained reply. "Winter! I can't breathe!"
"For saying that." He loosened his grip.
"I was just rambling..."
"It was a very beautiful ramble." He muttered before lifting her head and kissing her.

 "Winter, stop." Kaity moaned, pulling out of the kiss and attempting to push him away. "This is too fast." Winter couldn't help but laugh, and he stroked her cheek to attempt to erase the angry expression forming. "Why are you laughing at me?!"
"I'm not. Well, I am, sorry. Do you remember what you said a few months ago? You told me we weren't going fast enough, and now this is too fast?"
"Yes." Kaity mumbled, while wriggling her way out of his grip.

"Where are you going?" Winter asked, taking her chin in his hand and caressing her face.
"Just stop, Winter." Kaity sighed. "Stop trying to touch me and cling onto me. I won't float away if you let go."
"Kaity." He leaned to kiss her but she turned her head. "Kaity. I'll be gone in the morning and you can have all the space you want. Can't I just hold you one last night?" Kaity turned back to look at him and studied his face for a while.
"Ok." She sighed after some thought. "But-" She was cut off as he sat himself down, and pulled her into his lap to kiss her.

"Let me talk!" Kaity mumbled into his lips.
"Nope." He replied, before pulling her onto the bed.

"You do far too much of that. Sleep. Talk later, after you've had your space." Kaity complied, and fell asleep in his arms for the last time for a week, feeling a little giddy.

_____

"Daddy!" Autumn shrieked.
"Autumn! Stop!" Kaity winced. How could one little boy scream so loud? "I've already told-"
"Daddy!!!" He screamed again, she could have sworn it was somehow louder.
"AUTUMN!" She shouted. She didn't really want to, but it was the only way he'd listen at this stage. It worked, and he instantly stopped squirming and just sat in her arms whimpering and sniffing. "I already told you that daddy isn't here. Remember? He's gone to China."

"'Coz he hate me." Autumn whined before burying his head in Kaitys hair.
"Tummy!" Kaity said surprised, before snuggling him. "You know he doesn't hate you. You overreact so much sometimes..." She trailed off as she realised she did exactly the same thing constantly.
"You only one what love me." He mumbled gloomily.
"Don't be silly! Lots of people love you, you know that. What's wrong?"
"I want daddy time."
"Well daddy isn't here, but you can have mummy time."

"No." Autumn protested.
"No what?"
"No more mummy time. I go play now."
"But you're my baby Tummy!" Kaity gasped, fake upset. "How can I manage if my baby Tummy won't play with me?" Autumn giggled at her, before kicking his legs around wanting to be let down. "Fine. I guess mummy will just be lonely." Kaity kissed him before setting him down.

Autumn walked shakily over to the changing station.
"Mummy sit here. I tell you story."

Kaity sat. Really she should have been getting herself and Autumn ready for work, but she was well aware that time would fly before Autumn was at school and didn't want 'mummy time' anymore.
"What's the story about?" She asked.
"One apon a time there was a crincess called mummy." He began, and Kaity smiled.

"She spended all day poliss pwetty stones, and having a meeting. Then one day she get on a motorbike and was like 'brum brum brum' and then she buyed a house. And then she have two big sister crincesses who was pwetty like her and they went to school like big girls. But they wasn't very good at school because they is naughty sisters. And then she telled them off and they magicked a China who given her a King what she call Tummy." Kaity burst out laughing.

"No laughing mummy, this is very serious."
"Sorry." Kaity apologised, but couldn't keep the grin from her face.
"Then the King made a parcel and the mummy crincess ate it and she said she loved the King more than anything in the world. And then they got married."
"Autumn, mummy's can't marry their babies."
"Yeah! Sophie says that mummys marry boys what are the ones they love the mostest, and you telled me that you loved me the mostest out of all the boys."

 I should have known the twins would get him in on this too... Kaity thought.
"I do love you the mostest, but mummies can only marry daddies." ...What did I just say? She asked herself, shocked.
"You marry daddy then? Ok. And then the King said to the crincess that she will marry the China..."
"Wait... Daddy is the China? Why?"
"'Coz you said! And then the China and the crincess and the big sister crincesses and the King all lived in the house and was happy ever after. The end. And they get a dog. The end." Kaity sat in silence, trying to work out what just happened. "You no like my story?"

"Yaaaay!" Kaity clapped, "I loved your story, of course! I just didn't know it was finished."
"I said the end."
"Sorry, baby. Shall we get changed?"
"But we didn't get a dog."
"Maybe another day. When you're a bit older." Kaity laughed.

This is gonna be a loooong week... She thought as she picked her son up.




'Crincess' is princess, incase you couldn't work it out. That's how I used to say it when I was learning to talk still.

23 comments:

  1. 'and they get a dog' made me delurk. Love all of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you random anonymous reader! That has made me all warm and glowy inside :) Glad you loved it hope I can keep you interested :D

      Delete
  2. 'and they get a dog' made me delurk. Love all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaity, don't do that to Winter! Omg. :(

    Ah, Winter does what I do! I run tricky social situations through my head over and over, planning for every possible situation...and then of course what happens is completely different from all of my planned options. People are hard to plan for.

    Kaity, you are completely overthinking this(hypocrite, checking in!). Stop. Thinking. Okay, rambling works. Yay. <3

    Ooh, now Autumn's getting in on the conspiracy to marry Kaity! So adorable. I love how you incorporated the toddler gestures. Haha, he wants a dog now too! I don't think that's going to work, kid.

    Great chapter! Sad that Winter's going to be gone. Will this be an actual week, as in a sim's entire childhood, or a week in story-time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marry Kaity off*, sorry. I really need to proofread my comments better before I post them.

      Delete
    2. Haha, she doesn't handle things well. Of course, that was to be expected, don't you agree?

      I think we all do that. I even do that for things that'll likely never happen... Yeah, that probably makes me weird. I do that thing where after an argument I think of all these great insults I could have thrown and kick myself for being slow. But, yeah, people are unpredictable.

      I know, right? Her mantra is 'don't think, just do.' so where was that?! But, she rambled out how she felt, even though she didn't say it back, we all got the idea.

      Haha! I think we have his big sisters to thank for that ;) Thank you! That scene was originally unplanned, but I was finishing off the toddlers skilling in the real save, as I'm ready for them to age up in a few chapters (FINALLY!), and couldn't stop hitting 'c', and then his little story came to me and it just had to make the cut.
      Haha! Yeah, he wants a dog. That was a bit out of the blue, and we'll have to see if they end up getting one or not. He may not even want one when he's older. Kids say the darndest things! :p

      Thank you! Uhm, no, just a story week. Couldn't have him missing his son's birthday!

      (And HAHAHA! Yeah, I didn't even notice that typo at first. That really would be awkward 'no! I wanna marry her!' 'No, I do!' :p)

      Delete
  4. Oh, I loved Autumn's story, it was so awesome! Especially when Kaity was trying to explain to him why she couldn't marry her own child and Autumn took it to mean she was marrying Winter! And the two lots of "the end" with "and they get a dog" in the middle of it! I'm just sitting here giggling about it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D
      Yeah, Kaity just said that to explain how marriage worked, and immediately regretted saying that as she knew how it sounded and she's convinced the twins have bugged the house :p She's paranoid, yes.
      Pahahaaa! I couldn't stop laughing at that either :D It's the serious look on Autumns face in the picture attached to it too. So innocent.

      Delete
  5. <3 So many feels!
    I'm glad Kaity does see how awesome Winter is for her, even if she has to go kicking and screaming all the way, lol. And that Winter does really get her, and still loves her no matter what she throws at him.
    Shaena made me sad, the abuse will always be with her. =( But I;'m glad it hasn't poisoned her and she trusts Winter with Kaity, even if her first thought is a scary one.
    The story of the crincess and the China was so adorable. I love how everything in Kaity's life is conspirining to get her married to Winter. It is meant to be, Kaity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, yeah, there are a few feels in this one :)

      Yeah, course she has to kick and scream! It is Kaity, after all. At least she does see how Winter is good for her, and is able to admit some feelings, even if it isn't face to face, or those three words.
      I think Winter just has to have patience. He needs to understand that she reacts like an idiot, and says things she doesn't mean in the spur of the moment. But luckily, he can read her feelings, so he knows where he stands.

      Yeah :( Poor Shaena! she feels bad for jumping to that conclusion, but she does know Winter would never do anything like that. But, she did 'know' Alex would never hurt her, so she probably doesn't trust her judgement.

      Haha :D Yep! There's a world-wide conspiracy going on here! IRL (did I just say that?) she's had a wish to marry locked for ages, so she's even conspiring against herself ;) It is most definately meant to be... *swoon*

      Delete
  6. Loved loved loved Winter. I love Winter. The season, the sim. Just wonderful. Aw, Kaity. Might be time to put on some big girl panties and own up. Especially since she nearly said it, even if she didn't use the words. Though I'm betting Winter knows her enough now that he read between the lines. Yay. <3

    Bwahahahaha! Autumn! That story was awesome! Especially the 'Motorbike' bit where he even obligingly held his hands perfectly for you! So sweet! Loved that he told Mummy a story. So will they be getting a dog? lol

    Oh ho ho, the twins were behind that story huh? Wow. Nicely done brain washing the little one! That's one that'll tug heartstrings a little more! lol. And I loved the bit where Kaity is going to marry Autumn. Lou is forever going to marry her daddy, and brother so that really hit home. Loved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Think we all love Winter, the sim, at least. and yeah, Kaity practically said it, just in a lot more words, and of course Winter read between the lines, that's why he was so happy about it. <3

      Hehe :D Obviously I wrote that story when I had the pics, otherwise I'd have never known that his mummy gotted a motorbike.
      I don't know if they'll get a dog. At some point, I want pets in this legacy, but whether Autumn will be the one to make it happen is another story.

      Well, they were behind putting the marriage idea in his head, the story was all him. Haha! I remember not understanding why you could only marry certain people for a long time, and I know other kids are the same, so that fit well :) Thank you!

      Delete
  7. I freaking love this chapter! I ADORE Autumn's story! It's a serious story. Maybe Autumn can predict the future too. ;)

    Wow, I thought there was gonna be a build up for the 'L' word, but nope, there it is, right there at the start. Poor both of them for different reasons that everyone else has said. Then happy them.
    Oh, my favorite part was when he told her to stop talking! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D Um... He can't predict the future usually, but there are parts of that story that can most certainly come true. ;)

      Well, Winter already said it at the end of last chapter, so I just shoved it at the beginning as a recap. And yeah, Kaity didn't say it back, but she pretty much described being in love, which was enough for Winter.
      Haha! She does need to shut up sometimes. She moans at him for 'ruining the moment', and then she was going to do that herself. (Did you realise that that entire last scene between them was your poses? Came in very useful)

      Delete
  8. ::kicks open door and knocks a chair over:: I'm here!

    Ok, I meant to ask this days ago, but what's an ensuite? I'm guessing it's a fancy British name for a master bathroom?

    Ah Winter. I'm not sure there was ANY way he could have told her his feelings in which it would have gone well. ::tries to think:: Nope. So maybe it's best he just came out and said it, after all. She only cried and locked herself in the bathroom, it could be worse, right? Leave it to her to follow the one scenario he didn't think about, though!

    "Why would you put me in this position?" Well Kaity darling, at least he didn't tell you a sing-a-gram. Really. It could be worse. She can't expect everyone else to rein in their emotions. And she wouldn't even want that.

    "You need to work on that for next time"...hehe. She's already training him for the next I Love You conversation. I love it. And then she proceeds to tell him how he makes her feel, theoretically. LOL. So all of that she just said, amounts to more than what Winter even said. She just took the long way around, after stopping to have a fit about it :P

    Smart of him to stop the talk right there, though. That gives her time to stew over all this.

    Crincess! So cute! Well that was a very adorable story. I hope the Crincess and the China are very happy together. Or was it the Crincess and the King?

    Well I've already told you this at the forum, but I thought this was a very well-written chapter. You can definitely tell you spent time and care on the words. Very well done <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *picks up chair*
      ...Hey! There's a crack in the leg! You're gunna have to pay for that!!

      And ensuite... Well, it's a French word for something, I can't remember what, but we Brits use it to mean a bathroom attached to the bedroom. ...Infact, it may be one of those fake French words. Quite a few 'French' words we use aren't actually French. We just use them to sound sophisticated ;) A 'master bath' over here, would be 'family bath', the main bathroom for the house. Unless what I described as an ensuite fits that better... Who knows!
      Kaity's ensuite is a small bathroom attached to her bedroom for her own personal (and Winters) use. Is that better? :p

      Nope. You're right. Kaity was never going to take that well, but he had to say it sometime. It's been over a year since he told Jaydean that he loved her (that he loved Kaity, to clarify. He'd only met Jaydean a couple of seconds earlier..)
      And, exactly! It could have been worse! She could have laughed in his face, or gone the other way and split up with him. I can think of a few scenarios that he didn't think of, but this one was the better option.

      Haha! That would have been mortifying. Don't think sing-a-grams are Winters style, really. (Proposal idea?!) She doesn't even rein in her own emotions, so she definatly can't expect anyone else to! How often does she go into 'screaming toddler mode' over nothing?

      I love that you picked up on that, nobody else did! That was plopped in there to show that she knows they'll have to have this conversation again, only properly. Of course, Winter would have had something to say if she'd let him think for a couple of seconds. I don't think he really expected to be asked why he loved her.
      Hahahaa! And yeah, 'this is what I would say, if I could.' :p And yeah, she said more than he did, but managed to avoid those words. Strange how those three little words make her so nervous, but she can say all that without breaking down too much.

      And yeah, he didn't want her to keep talking at him. As he said, she does quite enough of that :p He'd rather just go to sleep.

      Hehe :D Autumn is an adorable child, so he needed to do something cute because I feel I've ignored all the children so far. The crincess and the China. Autumn was the King :p And he did say 'they was happy ever after', so maybe he's right?
      Maybe they get a dog, too.

      Thank you! I spent waaay too much time on the words. Fretting and rephrasing... Phew! Next chapter is worse. Well, no, it's just extremely long because there's no good place to break it up, and I want to get moving. There's no careful thinking involved in the next one, it's just taking a while to iron out the dialog.
      Thank youuuu! :D Your comment was worth the (way too long) wait <3

      Delete
    2. We use 'en suite' in America too. You see it mostly in real estate listings (and Sims houses people put up for download) but not as much in common speech.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, ensuite and master bath would be the same, then. Master bath is usually the bathroom attached to 'master' bedroom. I've not seen the ensuite thing over here, but then I haven't looked at real estate much, nor really sim houses either for that matter since I usually make my own.

      Glad the comment was worth the wait! I won't read the email from bed anymore, I've learned my lesson :D

      Delete
  9. Backlash from the "L" word is to be expected from Kaity. I'm glad she was actually able to admit her feelings a bit.

    Poor Shaena! It's sad that her mind jumps to abuse. :(

    I love Autumn's story! So cute! Yes, all the kids conspiring for marriage has to work some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I figured most people would see that coming, but she did take a massive step in admitting how she felt, so that's good!

      It is sad, but as it was all she knew for so long, she can't help it. She's attending therapy, so hopefully she'll start getting better.

      Hehe, thank you! Yeah, I think it will happen one day. Rules dictate that it can't right now, but... Well, it could happen in-story sooner. We'll see ;)

      Delete
  10. Haha---it is sometimes easier to have serious conversations with a door between you, you know, so you don't feel all embarrassed and everything, lol And sims, they are fond of the bathrooms! =D

    Autumn is a cutie, loved his story. His overreacting must be a precursor for future behavior then? Sort of like Kaity's mom gave her the Mother's Curse---I hope you have a child just like you! lol :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Making my rounds in catching up with legacies. Just letting you im right here in reading yours. :)

    Awww that story was just adorable and funny heehee!! Man i thought the scene was going to end bad for Kaity and Winter but im glad it turned out ok.



    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha, "and they got a dog." Autumn is the master of persuasion. I love him--how adorable!

    ReplyDelete