Wednesday 6 March 2013

3:18 Baby Steps

Luis and Shaena returned from school to an empty house. Their mother must either be at the elixir consignment store, or the kareoke bar.

"You can't avoid it forever. Gossip spreads." Shaena couldn't look at her brother. She felt humiliated. Alex could have stayed away for a couple more hours, and then nobody would have known.

"I'm just saying that it's best you tell her yourself." Luis circled around his sister, trying to make eye contact to drive his point home. She silently refused to even give him a glance, and Luis wondered why girls were so stubborn. Why couldn't they see the obvious, logical solutions staring them in the face? Why did they always have to feel like they were defying someone? He sighed, and sat down to start his homework. It was Friday, so he had the whole weekend, but with graduation just around the corner he didn't want to accidentally forget about it. "I just don't want to see my baby sister hurt..."
"I'm not going to get hurt, and I'm not a baby." Shaena stormed upstairs to the girls room to do her homework in peace.

It wasn't long before everyone was home, Taylor announced she'd graduated the forensics course, meaning she was now part of the forensics team, and Jake decided he'd give her the flower he'd picked that morning.

She put it in her room, in the corner dedicated to her children.

 Taylor had made Kaity a doctors appointment for her dreams. Kaity didn't want to go, but she had no choice, and slumped low in her seat, trying to disappear into the fabric on the way to the hospital.
"It will be ok." Taylor tried to reassure her. She was worried herself. She remembered when she'd had dreams, nightmares, forced onto her by the very same woman who had somehow impregnated her. She wouldn't trade her kids for the world, but she couldn't wait for a day when they could all be free of Trisha's interferance.
"Mmhm." Kaity nodded. She sighed, realising she may have to tell her mother everything. Shaena was the only one who knew, and in her opinion, the only one who needed to know, as she seemed to be the centre of the dreams. And what would the doctor say? She hoped they wouldn't run tests, maybe they'd just say she'd grow out of it.

Meanwhile, Rose had decided to put off her homework until later on in the weekend. It was a beautiful sunny day, and she didn't want to waste it cooped up indoors surrounded by books.
"Hey little guy!" She scooped up the beetle, and recognised it as the rare giant ladybug. "Are you a mutant or something? You're huge!" The beetle's feet tickled her hands, and she put him down. He spread his wings and flew away, Rose followed him with her eyes, tilting her head up as far as she could without falling backwards.

"If only I could be up in the sky like you." She muttered, mainly to herself as she was alone. The sun started to hurt her eyes, so she lowered her gaze to the mountains.

"That waterfall looks pretty. I want to go there." And without a second thought, she set off for the long walk to the mountains.

The sun was just starting to set when she finished her journey. She found a patch of daisies. White; her favorite colour. She picked one to sniff.
"Smells pretty, like Mummy. I'll give it to her." She thought, as she tucked it down the front of her dress. Rose didn't care about pollen stains or concequences. She lived for now, if she was told off for leaving the house without telling anyone or taking her phone, well, that was future Rose's problem.

She looked up at the waterfall. It was the thing that had drawn her here, after all. It was so high that the water actually hitting the small lake was just a fine mist, the constant stream of the waterfall broken apart by the rocks on the way down, making it surprisingly quiet up here. She tried to skip a stone, but got the angle wrong, and giggled at the deep 'plop' sound it made as it sunk beneath the calm, still lake.

She threw a couple more stones, and then realised if she didn't leave now it'd be dark before she reached an area with street lights, so left her peaceful solitude behind and headed back to the madhouse she called home.

____

"What did the doctor say?" After dinner, Madison had got a phonecall from Chiquita, who worked at the kareoke bar she frequented, telling her there was a gathering going on and she should come down to perform. Madison had originally declined, sure that she wasn't good enough, but all the children and Taylor had told her she should go for it. 'Even if you are bad, we'll still cheer.' Luis had joked, and eventually she'd agreed.
"They took some bloods, and they'll get back to us." Kaity's worst fears had been realised. What if they found out what she already knew? What would they do? Would she be taken to the science lab for testing? She didn't want to think about it. "Anyway, I had a dream about you, didn't I?" Kaity was grinning now, loving the expectant look on Shaena's face.

"So, according to the dream, you already have something to tell me first." Shaena turned her head, blushing slightly. She should have known nothing could be kept a secret from her cousin. "It's ok, there's no point now, I know, but don't keep secrets again, ok?" Shaena nodded, giggling slightly at Kaity's attempt to look serious. "Anyway, so, this guy you like, he's going to be a big part of your life for a long time. He'll father children to you, and treat you like a princess."

"Kaity. He's literally right next to me." Shaena whispered through gritted teeth. And he was, standing on the stage, listening to his crazy sister sing her set in a creepy alien mask.
"I know." Kaity was grinning, ear to ear, enjoying her friends discomfort. "Maybe if you'd told me sooner, I wouldn't have made it so awkward for you." Both girls were giggling now.
"Really? God, you're so cheeky!"
"Go talk to him!"
"No, Kait. I can't. He's like, 8 years older than me. Mum would kill me, and Luis already knows. He's watching and he won't keep his mouth shut if Mum asks.
"Ok, lets get some pictures while we wait for your Mum to go on stage."

Madison had been pacing the small area in the bathroom since she'd arrived. She had to go on stage any second now, and she just hoped if anyone did boo her, they'd be drowned out by her family's cheers. She knew it didn't matter what anyone thought, but she still didn't like the idea of actually performing.

Chiquita poked her head round the door, and told her they were ready for her to take the stage. Madison suddenly wondered if she should have dressed up. The girl before her had been wearing an alien mask, maybe she performed all the time and that was her stage persona. At any rate, it was too late now, and she left the safety of the girls' room for the stage.

Madison soon realised that it wasn't as crowded as she'd first thought. Most of the crowd had been her family, and she relaxed a little as she started singing. She noticed a woman next to Taylor strike up a conversation, and was excited to see she was a fairy too. It would be nice to meet another adult fairy, share experiances, she hoped Taylor made a friend in her so they would grill her for information at a later date.

Kaity heard her mother talking, and zoned out. She could see the future flashing through her mind, was she having a dream in the day? She tried to move, but was glued to the spot, and it was as if everything around her had stopped, all she could see what was going to happen...

And it made her smile.



Lets just pretend EA bothered to put a full ceiling on the kareoke bar, shall we? :|
Yes, car picture sucks. Apparently the windshield of squad cars is tinted, and you can hardly see anyone inside. And so I had to sit inside the dashboard to get a picture. I hate it, but it's the best I could get.

Alex:
 I may give him a makeover, not sure yet. But he's clearly going to have a part to play now :)

16 comments:

  1. Ugh, I hate it when the ceiling has weird empty patches!

    Well, that was a nice dream Kaity had for Shaena! Older guy, yeah.

    I'm worried about Kaity though. Doctors don't really know how to handle magic ad poor Kaity could be in for a lot of being poked at. I hope they don't try to medicate her...loo, I'm getting kind of real world here. Maybe one of the doctors is a fairy or witch, this is Sims after all.
    Anyway, I can't wait to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! How annoying! I couldn't be bothered to enter build mode on a cmmunity lot either. Maybe I'll sort it out one day...

      Well, something good has to happen sometime! And I need to set my spares up for life, they won't do it themselves without SP. He's a lot older than I'd realised, though. He ages to full adult in a day... Oh well, we still have time to get some spawn.

      Yes, it is a little worrying that they're doing tests. Hopefully the amount of supernaturals in the town these days will work in her favour, and she won't be poked and prodded in the science facility (by terrifying werewolf Geoffrey Landgraab...)

      You shouldn't have to wait too long. I'm off work all week, so have plenty of time to get a few updates out :)

      Delete
  2. I'm with Kaity on the doctors. NO DOCTORS! Maybe she can get Taylor out of the room and tell them so they can just say "Whoops! We know squat! She's fine!" But visions during the day now? Is she getting more powerful, or is she having a harder time controlling it?
    The Rare Giant Ladybug made me lol. They really are monstrous in size aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a little late for no doctors now, though... Maybe she can, or maybe they won't care as there are so many supernaturals in the town that it's basically normal now.
      Hmm, I suppose she's getting more powerful with age. I don't think she's learned to control it at all yet, as up until now all visions have been at night, but at least her first daytime one was a happy one that made her smile!

      LOL! Haha, it was originally a normal ladybug, but I just couldn't do it, and it had to be a mutant. But, hey, I've already had a science facility disaster, so there's the cause right there! See, it all ties in :p

      Delete
  3. "part to play" Gus! Get out of my head!!!!
    Sorry.

    I hope they just let Kaity be with her ability and not want to subject her to test after test after test. That's awful to do to anyone, and especially a child. Still, yangthecat is right, maybe they'll be more sympathetic than real world docs. I mean.. if KAITY is curious and wants to find out all about the 'whys' then it's fine, but otherwise... yeah, and I don't think she's all that curious about the whys.

    /happy, silly, romantic sigh. Older guy for Shae. :D I'm such a sucker for romance. *giggles*

    Don't worry about the car pic. I thought it was normal. Car shots are some of the friggin hardest ones to get.
    As you know, I was shooting in that same club, and I HATE THAT CEILING!!! Yes, it's open on the second floor there, but that doesn't mean that when viewed from the first that there needs to be an opening to the SKY! I guess we'll have to wait for sims 4 for a fix for that. grrrr.

    Rose is so sweet. I giggled with the 'huge' ladybug remark. Those bugs ARE unreal-big. Oh well, it's sims.

    Luis still needs to get a clue about girls. We don't think like you so deal! :P

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, one thing you can do when the open ceiling is below a second story is, click up to the second story, hit TAB and then hit Q until the camera is back on the first floor. That way the actual walls/ceiling of the second floor will show in your pictures instead of being open to the sky.

      Delete
    2. LOL! Omg, that didn't even cross my mind! Hahaaaa. Burst out laughing when I read that :)

      Yes, I think hopefully they will be more sympathetic. There are a lot of supernaturals in the town, and so it might not be that uncommon. I think right now, Kaity doesn't care about the 'why'. It makes sense inside the family, as Jake has all the usual fairy powers, Rose has pretty strong witch powers (though it annoys me that they can't use them when they're children...), and so Kaity had to inherit something. (I have a cool surprise coming up in her early teen years :) )

      Lol, I know, and we also know that as far as Kaity can see into the future, that they're happy and together. Thought you'd like that :)

      Yeah, car shots are difficult. I wish they'd made cars bigger so we could get better pictures...
      I know! I could not ignore it while I was actually *there*. It wound me up so much and I considered giving up, but it wouldn't have worked another way, especially considering how much of a nightmare it was to get 7 sims happy enough for a night out...

      Hehe, that was an insight into how Rose's mind works. She doesn't think things through, so that could get her into trouble later on.
      Those bugs are ridiculous! But worth 9 simoleons? Would you pay 9 simoleons for a beetle? :|

      Hehe, males will never understand females. And females will never understand males :p

      (I'm kinda scared to press 'publish', the last two times I have then another comment has appeared...)

      Delete
    3. :o Thanks for that! I'd never have worked that out myself! I'll do that next time I'm in that place then :)

      Delete
    4. yang - I've tried that, but somehow even though I have max graphics set, furniture will disappear. I need to figure out why, but it's not a high priority. I just angle the camera different. :/

      gemly - LOL, well, I didn't expect you to. :)

      It bugs me too that they don't have witchy powers as children. They really screwed up there. We could have such fun.... >:)

      My poor parents are getting stir crazy all the time because I can never get them all happy enough. Well, I can't get the parents happy at the same time even though I now have two teens that could babysit. grr. (must.. resist... urge.. to ... move... slider!!!) :D

      Well, in the grand scheme of things, I guess the simoleon exchange rate has to give them a little more than logical for a bug since they went through the trouble and all.

      This one was hopping yesterday!!!
      :)

      Delete
    5. i know! I really thought they would as the fairies have their powers at child stage. I even bought a wand but they can't do anything with it >:(

      Ah, that's why I hate having self-employed parents. Taylor works 5 days a week, so she's not a problem, but when Madi was looking after endless toddlers I had to just make her stand in the road for an hour so the moodlet would go away! lol
      But now she has to sing some kareoke and consign her elixirs, so she leaves the house loads. But it is tempting to move the slider. "nobody would ever know... just a tiny bit..." Lol, especially when you have whichever mod it is set to have testingcheats auto-enabled. (for posing on community lots, and teleporting sims when you're done posing so they don't glitch out)

      Haha, I suppose! Luckily for me, I seem to have picked the lot in town full of spawners to buil my house on. Constant insects and rocks and gems.
      Plus, it is giant. I suppose if I found a ladybug that size I'd expect a fair amount of money...

      It was! Everyone was reading it at the same time! haha :p

      Delete
    6. Quote: yang - I've tried that, but somehow even though I have max graphics set, furniture will disappear. I need to figure out why, but it's not a high priority. I just angle the camera different. :/ End Quote

      In Options, under Graphics, there's a checkbox for Enable Object Hiding. Uncheck that and it will stop hiding the furniture on inactive floors.

      Delete
    7. *hugz* You're the best! I've been trying to figure out how everyone elses game has furniture on all the floors when the roof is up and mine doesn't. I assumed it was because my graphics are medium (except sim, obv).

      Delete
  4. Yay for Shae! Older men aren't a bad thing...well, maybe a little if you're a teenager with a protective mom and aunt. But Madi may be more understanding...or perhaps more fearful, of her daughter getting started in love so early. Makes me wonder how Luis found out. I'm starting to love Kaity's trances and dreams, a very neat twist. And what might the doctor find out that she's worried about? They all already know she's a witch, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe :) Well, my man is older, but only by 5 years, and I didn't realise but Alex is only a day or two off full adulthood, while Shaena's only halfway through her teen stage.
      Yes, Madi knows all about young love, but of course, she doesn't want her own children to end up in her situation, and she knows first hand how easily the plans you have for your life can change.
      Luis found out because Alex came to the school to give Shae flowers :) sweet! I was going to write it in, but I can't be bothered/can't work out how, so I'll just tell you :p
      I love Kaity's dreams too. Luckily for me whenever she's idle she looks zoned out, so it's really easy to get the shots!
      They all know she's a witch, but she's scared that most witches don't have premonitions, so they might strap her down and test her. Which would be horrible, but makes perfect sense if you think about it. We'll have to see what happens. :)

      Delete
  5. I think that if Kaity told her mother more of what her dreams were about, she wouldn't worry about it as much. She'd realize that it is Kaity's special gift.

    I like Rose's thinking! "Well that was future Rose's problem!" LOL

    Alex is so cute! Gotta read next chapter!

    ReplyDelete