Wednesday 13 November 2013

4.34 Popcorn

"Autumn! Speed it up!" Kaity called up the stairs. He was the one who'd wanted to come to the laundrette with her, and now he was slowing her down. She just wanted to get the chores over with so she could put her feet up with a glass of wine.
"I'm coming!" He shouted down, and Kaity heard what sounded like an elephant stampede above her head before he bounded down the stairs. "Ready!" He announced, jumping the last three steps and landing at his mothers feet.
"One of these days you'll fall through that ceiling..." Kaity muttered, picking the bag of laundry up and heading out to the car.

_____


"I know what we can do after this, mummy dearest." Autumn smiled sweetly as he hopped up on the washer next to the one Kaity had chosen.
"Oh yeah?" Kaity asked, half listening as she poured way too much powdered soap into the wash-drum.
"Well, there's a pet shop right next door..." Autumn hinted, trailing off as his mother clicked her tongue.

"Autumn, we're not getting a dog." Kaity sighed, closing the lid and switching the washer on.
"But I'll look after it and you won't even know it's there!"
"No, that's how you think it'll work, but you'll get bored of it and even if you don't you have school all day."

 "But it doesn't matter! You know you can trust me! Haven't I proven myself to you?"
"Autumn, you're seven. You've not proven yourself to me, because you're a child and you can change at any second. You've inherited my temper and attention span, which is exactly why a dog is a bad idea." Kaity was getting sick of this conversation, she'd lost count of how many times she'd had to say no.
"But it would keep you company! Dad's gone again now, and you're all lonely at night, but if we had a cute little doggy then it could cuddle up to you at night."

Autumn watched his latest idea sink in. It was his best by far, and he knew his mother was weaker without his father there to back her up. Playing on that and her lonliness was pure genius.
"Autumn-"
"Please, mummy, pleeeeaaassseeeee!! I'll be really good!!" Kaity sighed, looking at the desperate look in her sons eyes.
"We can go the the pet shop, but only to look. Ok?"
"YES! Thank you!!" Autumn jumped off the machine and threw his arms around her.

_____

"Mummy please can we get this one?" Autumn gushed, tickling a small dogs nose. "He's really cute and friendly, see? He's not biting me and he doesn't even know me!"
"Autumn, we're not getting anything, remember?"
"Yeah, but-"
"No buts, I said we weren't getting anything."
"Then what was the point in bringing me here? Just to torture me?" Autumn spat, crossing his arms and glaring at his mother.

Kaity glared right back, and he realised he would never out-glare her. He turned his attention back to the dog, making silly noises and faces, making the animal bark at him.
"He's a natural." The woman behind the till remarked.
"Hmm?" Kaity asked her to eloborate.
"Your son, he's getting on really well with Peaches. We've had trouble finding him a home because he's not a throughbred and just gets overlooked." Kaity felt a pang of guilt. She'd never had a pet, and never had any desire to have one either, but to know this poor dog was left here just as lonely as she was without Winter, just for being different...
Dammit, Autumn! She thought to herself. Why did he have to put the idea of a dog to keep me company in my head?

"Fine!" Kaity conceded finally, watching how happy both her child and the animal were together.
"Really?!" Autumn spun around, a huge grin on his face. Kaity nodded her head once, and he flew towards her. "THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!! I promise I will look after him until the day he dies, and you won't even know we have a pet I swear!"
"What you going to call him?" Kaity laughed, thinking the name the dog already had was awful. Peaches? Just no.
"Um, well he's got popcorns all over him, so Popcorn?"
"Popcorn? What do you mean he's got popcorns all over him?" Kaity looked at the dog, he looked pretty clean to her.
"Yeah, the spots. They look like popcorn." Kaity sighed and shook her head. She couldn't be bothered to argue right now.

_____

"OHYEAHHH!" Elise shouted once they'd returned home with Popcorn. "This is SOOOO cool"
Kaity explained to everyone that this dog was their shared responsibility, the adults would not step in to care for the dog and it was up to them to treat it right or they'd find a new home for him.

 When Kaity saw how happy Elise was especially, she knew she'd made the right choice. She always felt awful that Elise might feel left out as she had no family in the house. Hopefully this dog would help her feel better connected as she grew up.
"Little Poppy-Popcorn, you're such a cutie. You are, aren't you? Yes you are!" She cooed as she brushed his fur down.

_____

Kaity pulled Shaena to one side as the kids fussed over the new addition to the household.
"I've not told the kids yet." She started in hushed tones. "And I know I should have asked you first, but I asked Winter to move in and he said yes." Kaity winced as she waited for her cousins reaction. She felt really bad about springing this on her; it was her house too and even if Winter was working away a lot of the time, it would still affect her.

"Why do you look so nervous?" Shaena asked. "Is this what you really want?"
"Yes." Kaity answered immediately. "Yes, definately. I know it's kinda sudden-" Shaena laughed. "What?"
"Sudden, Kaity? He's practically lived here for months, I actually thought he'd moved in already."

"Sorry." Kaity mumbled, turning away as she cursed to herself. "I know I should have asked you, but I hadn't really planned to ask him, it just kinda happened."
"Kait. Stop being silly. Of course I don't mind, and you don't need to ask me anyway. This is your house, you're just kind enough to let me live here. I won't be able to ever repay you for what you've done for me and Josh, and if you feel you're finally at a place where you can commit yourself to Winter, then I wish you nothing but happiness."

"Thank you." Kaity pulled her into a hug.
"You realise you'll have to tone down the pink in this house, right?" Shaena teased, looking around the room.
"Why?" She asked. "Like you said, it's my house. I'm just nice enough to let Winter move in here." Kaity winked, and both girls giggled.

_____

"Evening, sweet. How's your day been?" Kaity subcnciously smiled as Winter answered the phone.
"I caved." She confessed.
"What?"
"I let Autumn get a dog, and I told Elise we could get some chickens tomorrow." Winter laughed. "No, please, I feel bad enough as it is! Do you think I'm spoiling them?"
"No, Kaity. We were going to get the dog for his birthday, the chickens are a bit of a surprise though. Where did that come from?"
"I don't even know! Ellie was cooing over Popcorn-"
"Popcorn?!"
"Yeah, I just couldn't be bothered to argue. Tummy named him-"
"Him?! We have a male dog called Popcorn?"

"Yes, I know. It's stupid. Apparently his spots look like popcorn."
"Well... In that case I can't wait to meet him."
"Oh, I told Shae you're moving in."
"Yeah?"
"Yeah, she said it's fine. I've not told the kids yet, do you want me to wait until you're back?"
"I don't mind. I don't think they'll be angry. Maybe tell them before, then you can ask the twins what they really think? I don't want them to feel like I'm intruding on their lives."
"Winter, you're the only father they've ever known."
"Still." Winter didn't finish.
"How was your day?" Kaity asked after a slight pause, flopping down on the bed waiting for his response.







Sorry to jump around so much! :/ Needed to get the doggy into the house, and there wasn't a lot else that fit with it, so you got a lot of nothing. Plot starts again next chapter, don't worry.
And I've given up on Autumns tattoos. We'll have to wait until he's a teen because they won't stay put. For some reason they washed off in the shower just after I'd put them back, and I'm not doing that all over again.

22 comments:

  1. Aww, the dog is cute, I hope the kids look after him well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is! All I did was change his tail. haha! Clearly EA's vanilla pets are far cuter than their sims. And I hope they do too! :P

      Delete
  2. Aw, Autumn and Popcorn are both so adorable. I'm glad that Shaena is okay with Winter moving in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)
      Course she's ok with it! Winter is a great person to have around the house! Plus hes rich. *shrugs* :P

      Delete
  3. Autumn reminds me of my little sister, so manipulative, lol. But adorable of course.
    And Popcorn is such a cute puppy!
    I loved Shae's reaction...'I thought he'd already moved in', lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes, he's worked out how to play his parents. I think we all did at some stage.
      Thank you! I already said to Ali, but he's just vanilla with a different tail. I was surprised by how cute the vanilla pups were. Especially because I couldn't be bothered to make one... ;)
      Haha! Well, he has spent like, every night there. He had moved in, really, just without his stuff.

      Delete
  4. Still after the dog, I see, and thinking himself genius for making his case :D She's weaker without his father, and he knew right when to zero in on what he wanted. Loved the rambunctious jumping down the stairs, I've seen so many kids do that.

    Ha, smart enough to know, too, that he can't outglare his mother. I'm not sure any little boy can :D But see? It's fate. The doggy needs a good home. No one else wants him....but Autumn does. Autumn - 1. Kaity - 0.

    Peaches? Just no --lol! Popcorn suits him. He has popcorns! I geddit now.

    Kaity worrying about what Shae would think was kinda sweet. But as Shae pointed out, he's practically been living there already, and they've been a couple for a 'long' time now. I like Shae's jeans.

    Can't wait to see the kids' reactions to Winter moving in. And that wasn't jumping around or filled with nothing. It was sweet! Lots of nice family moments.

    And they get a dog! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, he's a smart kid. Very observant. The manipulation is clearly something in his blood, if you look at what his sisters were like as his age... ;)
      I used to do that too, and Autumn was particularly excited. He knew he'd get a dog if he could convince his mum to take him next door. That was the entire reason he went to the laundrette with her! :P

      Yes, Kaity is well practiced in sour looks. And females tend to give looks better than males, so he's never going to beat her. I'm starting to wonder if the girl behind the till was paid off by Autumn to say that ;) She seemed to know that being different was something close to Kaity's heart... Or maybe she noticed the markings and the giant wings and assumed.
      Ooh... :| I wouldn't tell Kaity you're keeping score! She wouldn't be happy about that! You know what she's like...

      Haa! Peaches was the first bad name that really didn't fit that came to mind. Popcorn was originally 'this totally doesn't work, it sounds like a child named him' kind of name, but the more I think about it the more sense it makes. Well done Autumn. We can trust you to name your own kids... As long as you don't point out body parts and name them after that... :|

      Now, this was the secretly deep bit. Kaity sees the house as both hers and Shaena's. Shae sees it as Kaity's house that she's just living in 'temporarily' while she gets back on her feet... Even though Kaity has had rooms built for both her and Josh, and they share Elise. This is supposed to show that Shae isn't fully settled there. Whether that's because of the murder that her ex-boyfriend commited in the front doorway, or because she really thinks she'll move out at somepoint is yet to be discovered...

      Anyway, yes, to everyone but Kaity and Winter, Winter already lived there. He hasn't slept at the room he rents for months now, he was really just waiting for Kaity to finally ask him to bring his stuff over. Luckily he could afford to pay for that room!

      Shae's jeans (they're 3/4 length): http://www.lorandiasims3.com/moreviews.php?cat=clothing&id=209
      Do you even know what you just did?! There's loads of new stuff on that site that I've not looked at yet! GAH! D:

      I'm sure they'll be pretty happy! Plan is for Kaity to tell her kids first, as they're gunna be affected most, and then tell Elise and Josh after. And now I fee bad that Elise will feel like she has even less family... Maybe if the chickens don't cushion the blow, a cat would help? :P
      And thank you! I guess I am focusing a lot on family moments right now. But the kids will grow up soon enough and not want to spend time with their mothers, so...

      Yep! And they got a dog! But it's not the end, so... Silly Autumn! :P

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed this chapter. It was really nice seeing Autumn and Kaity interacting, even if it was mostly manipulations on his part. :-D And she was such a softie without Winter around. A puppy and chickens? Haha. It was nice that Winter was worried about the kids reaction to his moving in. It shows his concern for their feelings, which is what a real father does, just proving that he is a dad to all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment has me grinning like an idiot! :D Thank you!

      Yes, Autumn was mainly manipulating, but he does love his mummy anyway. And yeah. Kaity finds it hard to say no to her kids. She can do it infront of Winter because she wants to look like she's in control, but she's not :P
      Yes, Winter is a dad to all of them. He's taken on quite a brood of kids haha! And pets too, now. He's moving into a zoo ;)

      Delete
  6. I have four generations to catch up with! Ack!

    The puppy is really cute. :) And I love the word "laundrette". We don't even have those in Sweden anymore, I think the last ones closed in the 80s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry!! There are summaries up until chapter 4.20 or 4.25 (I forget which) if that helps? This generation is by far the longest, though, so don't worry. You don't have 50 chapters per generation to catch up on, and gen 1 died and is only about 5 chapters.

      Thank you! Really?! Wow, that's weird! What if your washing machine breaks? :|

      Welcome, by the way! Hope you enjoy! :D

      Delete
  7. Haha! And they got a dog.

    Ha!

    Ooooh Autumn is just proving he is his mother's child and doesn't like not getting his way. Though Kaity was never that subtle. ;)

    Lol at Shae thinking Winter already lived there. Though I also understood where she was coming from with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! But it's not the end, Autumn hasn't inherited 'the sight' from either parent.

      Ha? At what?

      Hehe, yep! He's got the stubborn gene from his mum, and the ability to hide his intentions from his dad. And brains from them both (although Kaity has no common sense, but she was a straight A student and valedictorian, despite having twin girls while she was at school.)

      Yeah, I think Shae knew really that he hadn't moved in, but you know how it is. I have no idea what that was supposed to mean... :|
      Did you spot one of your poses in the Kaity/Shae scene?! :D It's disguised.

      Delete
  8. "Popcorn! Popcorn! DIIIIIIINNNNNNEEEEERRRRR!!!!!!! Here, Popcorn! Popcorn! Here, boy!" she said and stood on the porch as twilight settled around the neighborhood.
    Meanwhile, so-and-so in another house turned to his wife and said, "Is that Kaity calling for popcorn? They sell that; she doesn't have to stand on her back porch and call for it."
    "Maybe she thinks the paparazzi will bring her some if she yells loud enough." his wife said and turned another page of the novel she sat reading.

    I really did see that whole scenario play out in my head when Autumn named that dog. Why? Because I had a teacher that started the school year by telling his very-entertaining life story, and in that story somewhere he talks about his son naming their dog Popsicle and him having to stand out and call for his popsicle in his housecoat. Goodness knows what his neighbors were thinking.

    I'm glad that Shae had no problem with Winter moving in. I chuckled a little when she remarked how she thought he already had. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PAHAHAAAA!!!! Love it!!! *steals for next chapter*...
      I actually laughed out loud, and my boyfriend wants to know... :| He won't geddit.

      What an odd teacher! I think all mine started the school year by handing out books and laying down ground rules (which were never any different to the school rules, which we already knew.)

      Hehe, course she didn't! And he practically has, too. Just his stuff that hasn't ;)

      Delete
  9. Popcorn is really cute! I actually like his name.

    I love that Kaity was nervous to tell Shae about Winter moving in. Shaena's reaction was perfect, I mean, he really is a part of the family by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was originally a joke name, but it does suit him quite well!

      Hehe, yeah, he's part of the furniture ;)

      Delete
  10. Before I forget: Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAH! You were late!!! *sticks tongue out*
      Infact, you were even late in your timezone, so... LOSER!!!!
      (I love you)

      Delete
  11. I'm finally caught up! Sooo many chapters to read, but it was definitely worth it!

    What a cute chapter! I love how manipulative Autumn is, and Kaity's blunt response, and the dynamics between Kaity and Shae. And that conversation with Winter...<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Yes, it is a lot to read! Well done for making it through ;) And what a compliment! *glows* :D

      Thank you! I enjoy the dynamics of relationships, and try my hardest to make them all different in some way in the hope that it's not too predictable. But, I think at this stage we all know how Kaity will react to stuff, which is fine, really.
      I do love Winter. Everyone does, and sometimes I worry he's too perfect. What if I want to leave my boyfriend for him? It wouldn't work out!! :P

      Thank you so much for catching up and commenting! I should get round to your new chapter today, but if not it'll be tomorrow. I have like, 7 to read. I read waaay too many stories and legacies, but I love them all haha!
      Anyway... /ramble

      Delete