Friday 26 July 2013

4.21 Breaking Point



Sunday, late afternoon, Jake, Rose and Taylor came to the house to talk about the past. Winter and Shaena were upstairs keeping the younger members of the family occupied.

They sat around the dining table, and caught up a little. Reminiscing about the days when they all lived in this house, when where they were sitting was Taylors bed, and teasing Kaity on her overly pink interior design.

Time had changed a lot. Taylor was head of the police force, taking over her boss when he'd retired just a week earlier. Jake was a travelling acrobat, something that had shocked them all, but he really enjoyed life on the road. Rose was expecting her second child with her husband, and working part-time at the fast food joint in town. And although Kaity was still in the house she'd grown up in, she didn't mind. Her life was rich, she owned her own business, had three and a half beautiful children, and a sort-of-boyfriend-thing. It felt like this was the last piece of the puzzle she needed.

Soon, the conversation started to dry up, and Taylor knew the time had come. She'd tossed and turned the night before, wondering what to say, and hoping her children didn't hate her. She'd always meant to have this conversation when they were a lot younger, but she'd never got the courage before, and if she was honest, she didn't want to think about it even now.

"So, Mummy-dearest-darling. Who's our deadbeat dad?" Kaity asked, expecting the name of some high-class businessman who'd come to town and swept her mother off her feet for one night only.

Taylor took a deep breath, trying to calm her nerves. Of all her children, Kaity was the one she worried about telling the most. She was well known all over town, thanks to the papers, for her short temper and screaming fits. She hoped she could avoid that today. "This is going to be a shock, and I'm not sure you'll even believe me." She began, looking at the expectant faces of her children and remembering when they were all tiny and they'd look at her like this when she'd read them to sleep. "Your father was a woman."

"A wo-" Rose gasped. The other two were slackjawed and silent.
"Yes. She was a witch, that's where you and Kaity get those powers from. She was called Trisha, and she followed your grandfather here from Riverview when I was just a baby. They'd dated for a while when he lived there, but she'd broken up with him when the long distance got too hard, and then he started dating your grandmother. She made an appearance at some point, I'm not sure when, but she started following me around and trying to control me. I can only assume it was to break my parents up."

Jake looked appropiately shocked and confused, and Kaity was uncharacteristically quiet. Taylor decided not to look to her daughter, she could almost feel Kaity's death-glare on her. "Anyway, so then some how at some point, she cast a spell or something. And nine months later you three arrived. I'd been tested at the hospital throughout the pregnancy, and nobody could work out how you all got in there, and the magic powers you were giving off blocked the ultra-sounds so I didn't even know I would have triplets. It wasn't until your first birthday that she made an appearance and casually hinted that she was your other biological parent."

"I don't believe you." Kaity broke her silence. "You expect us to believe that you were stalked by a wicked witch, who cast a spell, creating three babies. There's one huge flaw to your plan, mother. Female sims only have two X chromosomes, so where did the Y chromosome to create Jake come from?" She had a point, and unfortunately Taylor didn't know the answer. She turned away, not wanting her children to see her pain and hurt.

"Kaity." Jake had decided to take on the task of calming Kaity before things got out of hand. "Clearly she doesn't know. She doesn't know how any of it works. And why would anyone make that up? You couldn't make it up! It's so ridiculous and far-fetched that it must be true."

"No. Stop. Shut up." Kaity shouted, standing from her seat.
"Kaity, sit down. The whole point of this is that we can talk about it and have it all explained, so why jump up and storm off?"
"Jake would you just shut up?! If what she says is true you either don't exist or your a woman. Do you want that?"

"Kaity-" Jake started, but it was too late. Kaity had marched around him, causing Taylor to stand, and Rose to follow.
"Why can't you just tell us the truth? What kind of mother lies to her kids about something like this?"

"Kaity, please. I'm not lying." Taylor didn't know what else to say, or how else to defend herself. "Just sit down and we can talk about this some more."

"Why is it so hard for you to admit that you made a mistake? We know we weren't planned, we've known that all along, so why can't you just tell us you had a one night stand? How do you think I feel about that? You all know how many mistakes I've made, yet you can't even admit to one?!"

"Kaity, please, the doctor said-"
"Rose, I don't care what the doctor said. If you don't need stressing out then just leave. But I don't see how this is anymore stressful than working, and you've not started maternity leave yet."

"Kaity, that's enough now. You've had your outburst now just sit down." Jake said. He wished his mother and sister hadn't reacted to her, this would probably all be over by now if they hadn't.
"Kaity, Kaity, Kaity! Really? Just stop saying my name and start calling me 'slut'. It's what you're all thinking." Jake jumped up from his seat and started pushing Kaity towards the bathroom, hoping to take her in there and calm her down for a few minutes.

"Get off me!" She screamed in his face. "Would you all just stop patronising me?! I can handle myself and I don't need people trying to calm me down! I'm not a child!" She turned and stormed towards the stairs. "Oh, you can all get out now, incase you were wondering." She stamped up the stairs like a four-year-old sent to bed without dessert, and slammed her bedroom door behind her.

She threw herself to her knees, crying her eyes out and hating herself. Why do I always do this? Why can't I just react like everyone else? Why do I have to scream and shout and act like a child who didn't get their own way? No wonder nobody likes me anymore.
She continued sobbing in a ball on the floor until a gentle knock at the door sounded. "Go away." She muttered into her hands, too quiet to be heard by her visitor.
"Kaity? Can I come in?" Winters voice called through the door.
"No. I'm naked. You wouldn't like that." She shouted back.

She didn't even hear the door open or close, she just felt his hands grab her wrists and try to pull her up. "What are you doing? Get off!" He didn't reply, but continued to pull her from the floor to a standing position.

When he finally succeeded, he spoke. "What happened? Why were you shouting and screaming? Where've your family gone? Why are you crying?" She felt a little bombarded by questions, but when she raised her face and saw the look in his eyes, she realised he was genuinely worried about her.

"Oh, Winter..." She threw her arms around him and he returned her hug, "I'm just an awful, horrible person! I've just called my own mother a liar just because I couldn't handle the truth. She said my father was a witch who cast a spell... Oh, did I mention the witch was female, and stalked both my grandad and my mum? Yeah, my family is just that messed up."

He didn't know what to say, who would? So he pulled her to his chest and kissed her hair. He stood there, holding her while she cried some more, and looked in the mirror. She shouldn't stress so much. Why does she want everything to be perfect? He thought to himself, before kissing her hair again and pulling her into a tight hug.

"It's ok. They're your family, they know you best. They'll forgive you if you apologise." He still wasn't sure what to say about her 'father'. He wasn't sure he understood. "Do you want to talk about it?" He felt her shake her head, and instead stood in silence, cherishing the feel of her warm body in his arms.

 "I think Jaydean wanted you to help her do her homework. Shall we go do that?" He offered after a while. She shook her head again.
"It's not due til Wednesday, I'll help her tomorrow." She squeezed him a little tighter. "Please don't leave." She whispered as she kissed his shoulder. "I need you here right now."
"Ok. I'll stay for a bit." He replied, rubbing a comforting hand over her back, and pushing her towards the bed so they could sit down. She said she needed me. She's never said anything like that before.

They sat in silence for a while, just holding each other while Kaity would occasionally cry.

Until she finally fell asleep in his arms.

23 comments:

  1. Aw. Winter is seriously so darn sweet.

    I know it's a shock for Kaity, but blowing her gasket wasn't the right thing to do (not surprising, of course. That Kaity does have one mighty temper). At least she realizes what she did was uncalled for and will hopefully take Winter's advice and apologize.

    I also hope she comes to terms with the truth about her "father." I wish her luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, he is, isn't he?

      Of course it wasn't the right thing to do! Even she knew that as soon as she got upstairs. She has a very short fuse, doesn't she? Winter seems to be able to calm her down, though.
      She will apologise, the next chapter skips ahead to the next weekend (cus work and school is boring), so we won't see her apologising, but she does, just know that. It is mentioned at the start of the next one.

      Well, Kaity has a tendancy to just ignore things, so hopefully she won't surpress it! I'll send your good luck wishes to her :)

      Delete
  2. Awe. Have I mentioned how much I love Winter? =] He is such an incredibly sweet guy.

    Reading about Kaity is like watching reality TV. She is crazy, but her fits are very entertaining. I loved the scene when Taylor was telling her kids about their "father." Kaity might have overreacted, as usual, but I can't blame her. Who would believe something like that? Then again, she's a fairy, so she should know anything is possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe :D He's everyones favourite guy *girly sigh*

      It is, isn't it? Haha! She'd make a perfect soap-opera star, too.
      Of course she overreacted! It wouldn't be Kaity if she didn't!
      Ah, but the difference is, that fairies and other supes have been around her whole life, she's never heard of two females (or two males, for that matter) having a baby together, and the chromosome thing bugged her. (Damn her for pointing that out! I hadn't even noticed, but her silly 'Genius' trait made her see that.)

      Delete
  3. I'm amused that Jake ended up being an acrobat :0) "three and a half beautiful children, and a sort-of-boyfriend-thing." --LOL.

    This has got to be a really tough situation for Taylor; truth is sometimes stranger than fiction, and that's certainly the case here. And it would hurt to tell that truth and be faced with disbelief, even though she knows how unbelievable the story is. "Well kiddo, you were an immaculate conception, but your dad is really a wicked female witch", that always goes over well :D

    Uh Kaity? Sometimes you can't handle yourself--just sayin'! Don't be mad at Jake for trying to calm you down! So glad that Winter could break through her angry wall, that's just what she needed--and she also needed him, which he noticed. He's been keeping things neutral between them since the Leighton affair, maybe this can be a stepping stone to something more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pahaha! I didn't know until I added him to my shooting save :p Thought I'd throw all that info in.
      Yeah, I thought that line was amusing :p It's true, too!

      Yes, I think she kind of Expected Kaity to kick off, but not scream in her face over it like she did. Luckily, she was only screaming at her mother and siblings, and they all know to expect it by now. They'll forgive her, especially as it is such an unbelieveable story (although it made perfect sense in my mind at the time).

      Yeah, Jake tried, unfortunately, Winter is now top-dog in her life, and pretty much the only person who can tell her what to do. Yes, this was they first chapter where we've had any idea what anyone other than Kaity was thinking. (Sorry, Kait. You can't be in the spotlight all the time.) That situation at the end is still fairly neutral, but yes, she's finally let slip that she needs him, so that could be a good stepping stone.

      I'm now wondering if anyone remembered that Winter said to Jaydean when he first came back, that he'd come back to tell Kaity that he loved her? Well, he's not said that yet. I think they're both at the same point in that sense. :p

      Delete
  4. A Sort-Of-boyfriend-Thing? He's not a Thing Kaity! Geez. lol

    Oh. She called Jake a woman. She called the travelling Acrobat a woman. Oh Kaity. Oh Kaity. That escalated rather quickly. No one was thinking that about her I'm sure. She's getting a little paranoid isn't she? Has living with the Paparazzi following her around made her that jumpy?

    "No. I'm Naked, you wouldn't like that." Uh deary? You've gots a baby together. Why on earth would he not like that. Ha! Oh Kaity.

    Aw. "She's never said that before." Winter is really hanging onto her words. And falling asleep with hi. Such a sweet ending. Well, if Winter didn't scare off with that tale I'm betting he won't scare off at almost anything else either. Then again, he's also survived a murder while sticking around her. I really hope she realizes soon just what she's got with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment made me lol.

      There seems to be a theme of 'Oh Kaity!' Haha!

      Anyway, yes, he's not a 'thing', but their relationship is still in the 'thing' stage. (Does that make sense?) Could be worse. She could still think he's a gremlin rather than a genie...

      Pahahahaaaa!!! She was trying to make a point. Allbeit in a very odd way. Luckily, her brother knows her well enough to know she was just being a silly child again, and won't take any of that to heart.
      Hm. I guess the paparazzi might have something to do with it, but I think it's that she did used to be a slut, I mean, really. And now she's... 'frustrated'. She's not 'done anything' for a year, so... yeah. One-track mind for her at the moment.

      haha!! That was meant as a jab at him. Sort of "Well, you won't sleep with me so this will make you go away", although she obviously didn't mean it too much otherwise she'd have just pushed him away, which she clearly didn't do. And nobody in her life would go away because she said she was naked. I think pretty much the whole town has seen her naked before. (Ok, sorry Kaity, that was mean. I exaggerated a lot there, but the whole household + Winter have. And a few close friends and family)

      The "I need you" line was supposed to show a change in her. She's never admitted to not being able to handle everything on her own, and she's finally realising that her life is a lot easier with Winter in it (And, of course, he helps clean up her messes and comfort her).
      And yes, of course he's hanging onto her words, he loves her and he's been looking for a sign that she has any kind of emotion towards him for months. Yes, he knows she loves him, because of the whole "I can sense your feelings" thing, but she's stubborn and hadn't admitted anything out loud until now.

      Oh, in my head 'off camera', Winter and Shae were in the nursary with all the kids, and they had a whole mini-conversation about who should go comfort her. Not like "no, you do it, I don't want to." but like "I think she'll want you to go." "No, I think she needs you to do this." blah blah, but I thought that's be boring and pointless.

      If you ever have trouble sleeping, just read this comment- zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :p

      Delete
  5. Random thought here, sorry---but my brother (who is autistic), his favorite movie is Star Wars, and his favorite line is, "Luke, I am your father." To which Luke yells, "No,no! That's not true, that's impossible!" My brother imitates it in a really funny way, and I do have a reason for mentioning it, lol That was playing in my head as I was reading this, my brother saying in a Darth Vader voice, "Luke, I am your father..." :P

    Well, Kaity reacted true to form, but I can't say that I blame her too much. That would be a bit much to take in! I'm glad that Winter was able to calm her down, and wow! She even said she needed him! Kaity is making progress! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paha! Yes, that was pretty random. Thanks for sharing, though!

      Exactly, I think I'd be very surprised if anyone expected different. It is a bit much to take in, but her siblings did the right thing and listened.
      Yes, Winter is about the only one who can calm her at the moment, and she must be making some progress because she would have never admitted she had feelings for anyone at the start :)

      Delete
  6. Kaity's reaction was just priceless. It was total toddler tantrum time.
    And she obviously does need Winter, he's the only one that can cool her down (ha!) from her rages.

    I do hope once she's rested up she can bring herself to apologize to her family. She really went off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! Yes, I especially love the "I'm not a child" line. HAH, yeah right.

      Pahaa, yes, he is the only one who seems to be able to control her at the moment, I'm doubtful his body temperature has much to do with it, though :p

      Yes, we won't see it, but she'll be apologising all week. I'll mention that at the start of next chapter, but we skip ahead a week (Cus work and school is booooring)

      Delete
  7. That went almost like I pictured it. Kaity freaking out, Rose and Taylor trying to calm her down. I didn't know how Jake would react, but I'm glad he manned up and wouldn't cater to Kaity's outburst.

    Then, that scene with Winter! Oh, loved it I did. :)
    I'm so glad that he held her and that Kaity admitted that she needed him and that he was happy that she needed him. I can't stop smiling about that.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, yes, I thought that it would be obvious how she'd react by now. I wasn't sure how Jake should react either, but as Rose was pregnant and Taylor was the object of Kaity's rage (And I don't want Winter to meet her family like that, although he already met Taylor when Bonnie was murdered), then Jake was left to handle Kaity. Not that he could. There's only one person who can control her.

      Hehe :D You'll love the next chapter, then! I'm thinking of releasing it earlier than I'd planned because I just love it so much! (Now I'm paranoid that there are bits I need to edit...)
      Yes, that was a HUGE step for Kaity, admitting she might have some kind of emotion (other than rage) and feelings towards him under that tough shell she wears. He knew she needed him aready (the whole things with the markings and her emotions projecting or whatever I said), but it's nice to hear it.

      ~<:D

      Delete
  8. Winter is a saint. He puts up with a lot! Kaity is really....a lot to handle.

    I'm glad you addressed the Y chromosome issue! That has been bothering me so much. The obvious answer is it's magic, so there's not much science involved. :p

    Great chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He kinda is, isn't he?
      Yeah, Kaity can be very difficult at times.

      Hahahaa!! I honestly hadn't even thought of it until I was writing it up! Kaity has the genius trait, so I think she told me while I was writing :p
      But, yes, it's magic, AND it's the sims. Nothing is impossible!

      Thank you! :D

      Delete
  9. I didn't think Kaity would take the news well, but I didn't expect her to call her mother a liar! I know Winter is right though that if she apologizes they will forgive her. She hurts herself so much! She knows she doesn't react to situations appropriately but doesn't understand why. Poor Baby!

    I know the truth about her conception is hard to believe and hurts, but at least she does know. Hopefully she'll realize soon that her mother wouldn't lie to her, especially not about something like this!

    Aww, she told Winter that she needed him! Maybe she is lowering her guard and letting him in now. Maybe she'll realize that he's there because he loves her and the children.

    This chapter was so good, Gemma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, her reaction wasnt much of a surprise by now, was it? She didn't really mean that Taylor was lying, it was just easier to pretend it was all a lie than to accept that she really was the product of a spiteful spell.
      Yes, she knows she reacts wrong, but you know when you get SO angry everything's kinda a blur? That happens to her very easily. Hopefully, having a steady boyfriend might calm that down, if anyone is up to the task... ;)

      Yes! Not the three little words we wanted to hear, but 'I need you' will do for now, I think!
      I think she is finally starting to realise that Winter really does love her, and isn't going to leave. I think the reason she's been so closed up is because she didn't feel that Winter would stick around, so it was a way to protect herself.

      Thank you! :D Just taking a couple of minutes break from Alissa to let it sink in. Just read chapter 52 and it's all getting a bit emotional so I thought I should cool off :p

      Delete
  10. Kaity's reaction was totally her, an explosion of rage followed by storming off. I'm glad Jake tried to make her see sense and that Winter was able to calm her down after her family left.

    I used to have that kind of furious temper where the anger just seems to take control of you and I only gained control of it after I scared myself silly (or possibly scared myself sensible) with it so I hope Kaity doesn't have to do anything like I did before she gains control of herself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think we all saw that reaction coming ;)

      I have a temper like that too, but my fuse is a lot longer than Kaity's and it takes a lot to get me to that point. Kaity has Winter, though, and hopefully he'll be able to calm her down (or 'cool her off' as someone said above ;) hehe)

      Delete
  11. I feel bad for Taylor, poor chica. Kaity definitely went apeshit on her, but it was nice of Jake to, erm, try? At least he got her away from Rose and Taylor. I hope Kaity can find someone to help her with her anger issues-also, it's really cool that you have a female character who struggles with anger. It's so refreshing. (:

    Winter is just so sweet! I don't know how he puts up with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I knew asking all these questions about her past and dead beat father wouldn't end well. But in a way I'm glad she knows the truth, no matter how strange it sounds. It will take her a long time to get used to the truth, and she might never even accept it, but at least she confronted her mom about it, and she got answers, even if she doesn't like those answers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So, Kaity is hating on herself and lets it go out over her family? It seems realistic and that makes it so sad. She really, really, need someone to trust in her life. And someone who can trust her, and show her that she's good like she is.

    She needs Winter.

    ReplyDelete